The City of Sky Valley is looking to hire a Communications Specialist
Part time/ approximately 25± hours per week. This position has the potential to go full time if the City finds the right high energy- cheerful outlook person. Competitive salary offered.
Sky Valley, GA is the highest City in terms of elevation in the State of Georgia. This will be a fun and challenging job for someone passionate about website design and maintaining a social media presence.
The City is in the process of updating its current website as well as creating a marketing website. This is an exciting time for someone to come onboard and be involved in these exciting projects.
Serious and qualified applicants should contact City Manager, Jason Streetman at email@example.com or 706-408-3037 for more details and immediate consideration.
Sky Valley, GA
General Nature of Work
This position supports the city’s communication and marketing goals through a focus on website, social media, and visitor center administration. The Communication Specialist is responsible for delivering information by researching, proofing, and uploading digital content to the City website, the City marketing website, and other social media platforms to include but not limited to: Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, etc.
Additionally, the communication specialist will monitor and respond to postings, greet the general public and promote the City of Sky Valley in a positive manner. Other duties will include administering the city visitor center efforts, answering the phone, assisting in and attending meetings both in person and/or online, taking payments for marketing items the City may sell and other duties as assigned.
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Work both independently and collaboratively to achieve strategic communication goals that positively promote the City.
- Develop and communicate digital content strategy and associated tactics that support the City’s goals.
- Manage the city's digital presence ensuring consistency of appearance, functionality, security, and conformance to policies and style guidelines.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with other agencies, departments, coworkers, and the general public to facilitate and improve communications capabilities. Respond to requests and inquiries from the mayor, city council, city staff and the general public.
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of website, social media, and electronic enhancements and upgrades.
- Monitor and evaluate the city’s social media accounts. Ensure a consistent brand and voice is used across all social media channels. Create and post compelling social media content that engages followers. Monitor social media traffic and respond with appropriate consultation from city departments.
- Provide photography support for events and activities and assist in the maintenance of the city photo archive.
- Promotes and implement marketing initiatives for the City of Sky Valley; analyzes current marketing strategies, including e-commerce and website development; develops initiative-taking responses to make necessary adjustment; reviews market analysis to determine audience needs; coordinates advertising campaigns.
- Administer content management on the city's websites. Ensure all portals and web pages follow website policies and guidelines. Write and design original content and assist and advise internal customers with their web content as needed.
- Develop standards, systems, processes, policies and best practices for content creation, distribution and management. Maintain open communications with stakeholders.
- Stay abreast of digital industry trends and emerging technology. Monitor other municipal and governmental projects and sites to stay current with digital presence, open data, and service delivery innovations and approaches.
- As needed, train staff on the use of content management system for simple content updates. Ensure conformance to strategic communication objectives.
- Plan, develop and implement various web features that meet the needs and interests of the city's communication and organizational goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Assist in the organizing and creation of City events to include but not limited to: the 4th of July fireworks celebration, spring festivals, fall festivals, the annual hay bale trail, and Christmas related activities.
Additional Functions: Performs other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills; proficient English language skills, including spelling, punctuation, grammar, construction and usage.
Experience working in a public sector setting is preferred; skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with elected officials, co-workers, the general public, and community leaders.
Ability to work both independently and in a team in a challenging environment.
Working knowledge of public relations principles; ability to prepare clear, concise and accurate multi-media presentations; experience updating websites and social media and the ability and willingness to stay current with trends.
Work experience demonstrating flexibility and excellent organizational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, respond to requests for information in a timely and customer service-oriented manner, and understand and adhere to city policies and procedures.
Ability to multi-task in a high energy environment.
- High School diploma with coursework in communications, public relations, or related field; one to three years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, demonstrable skills and experience.
- Experience managing and using websites, content management systems, intranet sites, social media sites, and digital media technologies.
- Proficiency in use and potential of web-based and social media platforms, including writing/editing text for web. Ability to use software or applications to create web, photo, and video content.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite including Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel as well as Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and other Adobe Creative Suite products; must be adaptable to other software solutions.
ADA Requirements: Individuals applying for the posted position must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those needed by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee primarily works in an office environment.
- The employee may occasionally work outdoors in support of City marketing, public relations and events.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- The employee must be available to work occasionally on weekends; particularly Saturdays during peak seasons of Summer and Fall.