Senior Equipment Mechanic - Fleet Services
Mon. 01/31/22 11:59 PM Eastern Time
6900 Sallie Mood Drive, Savannah, Georgia
Fleet Services Department
Purpose Benefits Supplemental Questions
NEW SALARY!!! $43,906/yr
The City of Savannah and its Fleet Services Department are currently seeking individuals of unquestionable integrity who can demonstrate sound judgement and decision-making skills under all conditions. We seek mechanics who possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, the ability to evaluate situations while remaining calm, and the skills to think critically and make sound decisions.
Are you seeking a rewarding career? Do you want to work with a dedicated team to make a real difference in the Fleet Services Department? Are you tired of working too many hours or working weekends? Do you excel at making good decisions under pressure? If you are an experienced, motivated technician with a passion for repairing and maintaining vehicles, and you are up for the challenge, we want you to join our team!
You'll learn on the job, receive paid ASE certification training, gain another family and a sense of belonging that no other career can offer, and spend your time helping others by making a positive impact within the Fleet Services Department!
Our Automotive Technicians Enjoy:
5 Day Work Weeks (Monday – Friday) NO WEEKENDS!!!
Great Work Environment
Excellent Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits
12 Paid Holidays
Paid Training Programs
Paid ASE Certifications
New! Tool Allowance
Women, Minorities and Veterans are Encouraged to Apply!
As the Senior Equipment Mechanic you will be responsible for repairing and maintaining city-owned vehicles and equipment, with emphasis on welding and fabrication of specialized equipment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Diagnoses and repairs engines, transmissions, electrical systems, hydraulic systems, brakes systems, axles and light, medium and heavy trucks and equipment.
- Design, repairs, fabricates and installs specialized equipment.
- Rebuilds and repairs fire pump transmissions, fire truck valves, water pumps, transfer cases, differentials, brakes, power steering boxes, and engines.
- Test drives vehicles and equipment to ensure proper working conditions. Performs failure analysis.
- Performs preventive maintenance as required.
- Performs service calls in the field.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment.
- Changes and repairs tires.
- Diagnoses and repairs electronic engines, heavy equipment, specialized equipment, electronic transmissions, anti-lock braking systems, electrical systems, multiplex systems, air conditioning and heating systems, steering systems, fuel systems, and suspensions.
- Reads and interprets repair manuals and schematics.
- Assist master welder by providing minor to intermediate welding, fabrication and cutting jobs.
- Performs minor welding and parts fabrication duties.
- Adheres to safety guidelines.
- Maintains a record of repairs to vehicles by posting data into the Fleet management software.
- Opens, closes, and updates work orders.
- Works as part of a team to help the maintenance and service operations become successful.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications:High School diploma or GED or equivalent with three (3) years of vehicle and equipment repair and maintenance experience or two (2) years of vehicle and equipment repair and maintenance experience with the City of Savannah Vehicle Maintenance Department.
Must possess and maintain a valid state Class B Commercial Driver's License with an acceptable driving history or must obtain CDL within six months of employment.
Work Location: 6900 Sallie Mood Drive Work Hours: 7 am - 4 pm
Background investigation, including supervised drug screen, post offer/pre-employment medical screen; and verification of education, certifications, and licenses required prior to employment.
Ideal candidates for the Senior Equipment Mechanic role will have a record of successfully demonstrating the following competencies:
- Technical Professional/Knowledge and Skills - Achieved a satisfactory level of technical, functional, and/or professional skill or knowledge in position related areas; kept up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise
- Building Trust - Interacted with other departments and divisions in a way that gives others confidence in their intentions and those of the organization.
- Interpersonal Communications - Clearly and succinctly conveying information and ideas to individuals and groups in a variety of situations; communicating in a focused and compelling way that drives others' thoughts and actions.
- Decision-making - Identified and understood issues, problems, and opportunities: compared information from different sources to draw conclusions and develop appropriate solutions.
- Resolving Conflict - Helped others deal effectively with an antagonistic situation to minimize damage to the relationships and promote shared goals; used appropriate interpersonal methods to reduce tension or conflict between two or more people and facilitate agreement
- Stress Tolerance - Maintained stable performance under pressure or opposition (e.g., experiencing time pressure, conflict, or job ambiguity); handled stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
- Initiating Action - Taking prompt action to accomplish work goals; taking action to achieve results beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Managing Work - Effectively handled one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions common to maintenance and repair activities and adheres to safety guidelines.
- Knowledge of principles, theories and practices of automotive repair.
- Knowledge of principles and methods used in a program of preventative maintenance of light, heavy duty vehicles and off-road equipment.
- Skill in the diagnosis and repair of equipment failures.
- Skill in establishing priorities and organizing work.
- Skill in the use of tools and equipment necessary in the repair and maintenance of heavy-duty automotive equipment.
- Skill in the interpretation of manuals and schematics.
- Ability to maintain a cooperative relationship with co-workers.
- Knowledge of safe driving practices.
- Skill in oral and written communication.