The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for a Controller. This is a position within the Finance Department.
The purpose of this job is to assist the Director of Finance in managing, directing and supervising the activities of the Finance Department and for performing highly complex professional level accounting analysis. The incumbent will share the responsibility for completing the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) and coordinate with various City departments to ensure compliance with the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) statements. Duties include, but are not limited to: gathering data to accurately complete the CAFR, providing information and support to departmental staff to comply with regulatory requirements; overseeing and training professional staff and reviewing results for accuracy, timeliness and compliance with all regulatory requirements and planning, scheduling and coordinating work to complete assigned projects.
Essential Job Functions:
• Assist the Finance Director in administering the City’s financial affairs, serving as the principle source of knowledge on proper application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and will implement new accounting pronouncements and standards. ordinances.
• Manage accounting activities and supervise all accounting staff, ensuring all accounting activities are in accordance with established statutes, laws and ordinances.
• Prepare budget amendments for review by the Finance Director.
• Coordinate the fiscal year-end audit performed by external auditors.
• Review expenses versus budget, review preliminary budget with department heads and assist in managing budgetary thresholds.
• Assist the Finance Director and City Manager with annual budget preparation, and work with all departments in the preparation of reports and schedules.
• Prepare account analysis as required to evaluate departmental performance and efficiency.
• Work with department heads to create estimates for capital improvement projects.
• Present capital improvement projects to the Finance Director.
• Prepare and review journal entries, direct pays and wire transfers.
• Implement auditor recommendations, ensuring that the City makes necessary changes to policy, procedure or practice.
• Assist the Finance Director with securing financing when necessary.
• Produce monthly cash flow reports to the Finance Director.
• Responsible for developing financial forecasting models and projects revenue requirements.
• Assist the Finance Director and City Clerk with contract administration and responsible for adherence to all contracts and agreements.
• Respond to all governmental agencies and authorities, request for information to include annual surveys.
• Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting or related field from an accredited college or university;
• Must have a minimum of Five (5) years professional experience in accounting and financial management; preferably from a governmental institution
• Or equivalent education, and/or experience; and
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of accounting and budgeting practices, knowledge of applicable laws and regulations.
• Knowledge of the rules and regulations regarding Federal, State, local and private grants.
• Knowledge of the general trends and current developments in public sector (governmental) accounting.
• Knowledge of personal computers and computer software applications.
• Skill in the evaluation of personnel.
• Skill in the use of computer-based data information systems.
• Skill in strategic and critical thinking.
• Skill in interpersonal relations.
• Skill in organization and time management.
• Ability to understand and carry out complex verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with employees and the public.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, verbally and in writing.
• Ability to examine, interpret and verify a wide variety of financial documents and reports.
• Ability to conduct sound audits of financial records and conduct detailed accounting studies and prepare reports.
• Ability to prepare concise comprehensive reports, including necessary supporting documentation concerning accounting/financial activities.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with officials, employees, state and federal authorities, civic leaders and the public.
• Ability to plan, establish, assign, and coordinate priorities.
• Ability to accurately forecast future financial conditions of the City government.
• Ability to exercise good judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions; and to work effectively with the Mayor, City Council, City Manager; and professional staff members in City government.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• The employee regularly works in a normal office environment.
• The employee may perform some duties outdoors while conducting official business which will require limited local travel.
• Employee may be required to attend some evening and weekend meetings, and may be required to assist in special events.
The City of Brookhaven has adopted under ordinance a required COVID vaccination for all newly hired employees.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.p >