Pay Grade: 113
Job Code: TBD
FLSA Status: Exempt
The person in this position performs a variation of highly responsible and complex professional, technical, and analytical activities in support of the City’s benefits administration. Provides benefit information and related forms to employees, city officials and retirees, responds to standard inquiries, and reviews completed forms. Reviews various billings for accuracy, researches and reconciles errors, and submits for payment. Runs reports and pulls records from benefit and payroll software systems. Reviews reports and records from the City, insurer, and third-party administrator and reconciles any discrepancies.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs administrative and technical activities related to the administration of a wide variety of City employee benefits including the City’s open enrollment process and making changes to employee benefits.
- Establishes procedures to ensure appropriate coordination of monitoring of enrollment and benefits eligibility
- Coordinates internal and external networks and systems with appropriate City staff and external vendors; coordinates with payroll and Finance staff on payroll deductions, billing reconciliation and invoice payments
- Reviews the development of open enrollment materials; assists with coordinating the annual open enrollment process to include employee communications (web, electronic, hard copy, presentations and meeting) and end-to-end process assistance to ensure timely and accurate open enrollment completion
- Facilitates new employee benefits orientations; provides an overview of City benefits and ensures forms are completed appropriately and proper documentation of dependent eligibility
- Provides existing employees with information regarding City benefits, ensures qualifying event forms are completed appropriately; responds to employee questions, complaints and concerns regarding benefits
- Participates in administration of the City’s retirement plans
- Maintains current records and coverage on all participants in the various benefit programs by processing enrollments, terminations, and/or change forms; entering information into the City’s HRIS-benefits database and transferring information electronically to the third party administrator; notifies carriers of new enrollees to ensure that eligible employees obtain coverage in a timely manner
- Reviews bi-weekly payroll reports and updates benefit database to make appropriate adjustments regarding employee changes, terminations, new enrollees, deduction errors, changes in status and discrepancies
- Makes corrections for over/under payments of premiums for benefits; prepares documents or communications for employees over/under paid in error; assists payroll with the setup of adjustment deductions to make up insurance benefits premium due or refunded
- Audits monthly bills from various carriers against eligibility reports for changes and terminations, balancing carrier reports with payroll to recommend payment of bills; notifies company of any billing errors
- Assists with processing of terminations
- Investigates, verifies and corrects errors and discrepancies on documents in order to process transactions accurately
- Process personnel action forms and update ADP payroll system with appropriate action;
- Provides information updates, advice and general communications on all human resources functions to City personnel; answers daily questions and requests for personnel services in a timely, accurate and productive manner;
- Establishes, maintains and updates databases, spreadsheets and other background materials for proper personnel records and reports including employee lists and statistics
- Acts as privacy officer to ensure that confidentiality of employees, new hires and retirees is protected
- Serves as a member of the Safety and Wellness Committees
- Undertakes various projects as assigned by the Human Resources Director
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in Human Resources, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field is preferred; and three (3) to five (5) years of related experience in benefits administration demonstrating a broad knowledge of state and federal legislation regarding employee benefits; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Requires experience in billing reconciliations, insurance payables and HRIS software.
- Desired CEBS, PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP certifications
- Experience with Microsoft EXCEL a plus
- Local government experience a plus
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge and understanding of local, state and federal legislation affecting personnel management;
- Knowledge and understanding of benefits legislation (HIPAA, USERRA, ADA, COBRA, FMLA)
- Knowledge of local government organization and procedures;
- Knowledge of City’s organizational structure, departmental functions and inter- relationships;
- Knowledge of the operation of general office equipment including calculator, computer keyboard, computer word processing or other programs, telephone, telephone console, or copy machine as required;
- Knowledge of basic mathematical and accounting procedures;
- Skill in operating a computer;
- Skill in communicating both orally and in written form;
- Skill in researching complex issues and developing recommended actions;
- Ability to develop, implement and evaluate new and revised procedures, methods and standards;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise considerable skill in information handling, privacy of records and judgment;
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints;
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, employees and the public.
Requires sitting long periods of time at a desk; standing to file’ walking through building to perform needed tasks; carrying and holding files and boxes of supplies up to 5 lbs; dragging and lifting boxes of paper, files and supplies up to 10 lbs; pulling and pushing file drawers open and closed; stooping, crouching, bending, squatting and kneeling to retrieve files and boxes; occasional crawling to retrieve items under desk, etc., feeling for needed objects on desk and in file drawers; reaching and twisting in chair to reach phone and files; filing and sorting of files; writing typing, using computer and answering telephone in daily duties of job; simple grasping of objects and files and using fingers for fine manipulation of using computer keyboard; static, rotational, flexing and extension of head and neck needed to answer phone and turn to find files; near acuity vision, color vision and up, down, right and left field of vision needed; requires speaking, hearing, and dealing with employees and the public.
The incumbent primarily works in temperature controlled environment in an office setting. Occasionally outdoors walking or driving to other City Departments which may involve working in all types of weather. Low to medium stress level.