At Union City, we are guided by our mission and vision, to proudly promote community growth with municipal services and programs, and to make bold, visionary plans to push toward the future. We do this by having the right people in the right place and by creating a culture of service and execution. Make a difference where it counts by joining our team!
As part of our team, members benefit from alternative work schedules, in-house training programs, clearly defined career paths, on-going development opportunities, and a competitive benefits package, just to name a few.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To support the vision, mission and guiding principles of the City.
- Prepare Council Chambers for all City Council meetings and attend Council meetings upon request.
- Attend and participate in training opportunities and seminars relevant to this position.
- Adhere to appropriate City operating procedures, benefit rules, employment, and safety policies/practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and implement Special Events of the City Clerk’s Office
- Coordinate and conduct City elections; prepare election booklet and all forms necessary for candidates to run
- for office; ensure compliance of election laws, and other duties as directed.
- Research and propose the development of long and short range administrative planning, goals and objectives
- Provides general assistance to the City Clerk and when absent acts as the City Clerk
- Prepares and distributes memorandums to Council and drafts letters to appointees
- Provide significant support in the preparation and administration of the assigned department budget.
- Attend and participate in City Council meetings; record proceedings; take and transcribe minutes of meetings
- Interprets policies, procedures and laws as applies to the office activities
- Responds to inquiries from the public, City Officials, and City staff regarding official City Actions as well as functions and processes related to the City Clerk’s Office; resolves problems and issues.
- Assist with the compilation, preparation, and the edit of the City Council agenda packet including minutes, transcripts and action letters; monitor the agenda collection process, review and distribute Council agenda and documentation packet.
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies and procedures
- Back up for City Switchboard and Mail distribution
- Assist with the process work orders
- Assist with the ordering of office supplies for City Clerk and City Council
- Maintain Electronic and Original tracking system for contracts, minutes, ordinances, resolutions and proclamations
- Maintain various filing systems within the Department
- Liaison for Channel 22 (public access channel)
- Maintains onsite office records and records stored in off-site facility
- Any other duties as assigned.
Job has recurring work situations involving high degrees of discretion. The need for accuracy and effective utilization of available resources is high. Errors in judgment could cause disruptions to the City’s mission and adversely impact attainment of the City’s goals. Incumbent operates independently but results are monitored by the City Clerk. Content of work priorities are directed by the City Clerk. Work after hours is required.
Contacts are across the entire City community and in a leadership capacity. Community contact is a critical component of success in developing good will and support of City programs and initiatives.
COMPETENCIES/SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING PREFERRED:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Government Studies, Public Administration or a related field preferred
- (3) to (6) years experience in a professional office is required or equivalent skill, knowledge and experience.
- Georgia Notary Public must be obtained within (6 months of hire).
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, a Certified Municipal Clerk certification from the International Institute of Municipal Clerks (IIMC) is desirable.
- Assistant Clerk certification must be obtained within (3 years of hire).
- Previous City or County Clerk experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Interpret state and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Deal tactfully and diplomatically with government officials, politicians and the general public.
- Use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions according to written specifications and/or oral instructions.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Maintain effective working relationships with other City employees and supervisory staff.
Equipment and Applications
- Computers and peripheral equipment
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment
- Designated software applications.
- Telephones, faxes, copiers and other office equipment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the associate is:
- Frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk and hear.
- Occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the associate may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually low.
For prompt consideration, send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org