Job Status: Full-Time
The Staff Assistant provides routine clerical/administrative support which may include data entry, ordering supplies, opening/sorting mail, copying, filing, answering phones, greeting visitors, providing basic information and /or scheduling meetings. The purpose of this classification is to provide administrative support for a department/division of the Police Department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides secretarial/administrative support for department/division staff; screens telephone calls, mail, email, and other communications and initiates appropriate action/response; types, transcribes, edits, or proofreads correspondence; maintains department calendars and schedules meetings, appointments, or other activities; coordinates travel/hotel arrangements, conference registrations, or other travel-related plans for department staff; prepares requisitions/purchase orders for payment.
- Performs reception functions; operates multi-line switchboard and/or telephone; answers telephone calls and greets visitors.
- Receives moneys in payment of various fees/services; records transactions, posts payments, and issues receipts; balances revenues and forwards revenue as appropriate.
- Maintains computerized and hard-copy file system of various files/records for the department/division; prepares and sets up files; sorts/organizes documents to be filed; files documents in designated order; retrieves/replaces files; shreds/destroys confidential or obsolete documents; conducts records maintenance activities in compliance with guidelines governing record retention.
- Serves as departmental human resources liaison; prepares new employee paperwork; processes documentation pertaining to personnel/payroll functions; reviews timesheets for accuracy and research discrepancies; tracks accrued and used sick leave and vacation time; enters payroll data into computer for payment; prepares personnel change forms; maintain confidential personnel files and related records.
- Assists other employees or departments as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
Requires a High School Diploma or equivalent; and one (1) year of related experience that includes secretarial work, office administration, basic bookkeeping, reception work, customer service, records management, and personal computer operations, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience within a law enforcement agency is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge, demonstrated interest, and/or prior work experience in any of the following fields: law enforcement, investigation, or criminal justice.
- Ability to provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others regarding the application of procedures and standards to specific situations.
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness, and creativity in situations involving a variety of generally pre-defined duties which are often characterized by frequent change.
The work is sedentary which requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discrimination in sound.
- Repetitive Motion: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrist, hands, and/or fingers.
- Speaking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word including the ability to convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately and concisely.
- Visual Acuity: Have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; and/or extensive reading.
Work is performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.