Police Patrol Officer
City of Cordele, Georgia
Closing Date: Until position is filled
The City of Cordele, a local municipal government in South Georgia serving a population of approximatly 12,000 citizens, is actively seeking Police Patrolperson candidates. Located 100 miles North of the Florida state line, and served by three exits on Interstate 75, Cordele is the commercial hub of Crisp County and offers excellent growth opportunities for hotels, restaurants, retail, recreational and healthcare facilities.
A skilled position responsible for protecting life, property, and enforcing Municipal, State and traffic laws in addition to other duties pertaining to the prevention, control, suppression and deterrence of crime. Position is under the direct supervision of the assigned on-duty Sergeant of the Field Services Division.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs manual tasks that require physical stamina and the use of hand tools, cameras, radios, police equipment, vehicles, firearms and other weapons. Duties are often performed in stressful situations and during inclement weather. Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Operates police vehicles safely while abiding by department policies.
- Enforces Municipal ordinances, State criminal and traffic laws.
- Employs hand tools, chemical agents, firearms, tazers and other weapons. Trains in the use of all tools, weapons and equipment to ensure proficiency and compliance with use of force policies.
- Trains and drills in police methods, technology systems, first-aid and Municipal and State laws and codes. Maintains all assigned equipment, vehicles, apparatus and physical facilities.
- Protects people, places and things.
- Prevents crime through patrol, foot patrol and passive observation.
- Conducts security inspections on buildings, structures, premises and vehicles.
- Secures crime scenes and assists in processing crime scenes.
- Collects, tags and secures evidence including completing chain of custody forms.
- Testifies and provides evidence in court cases.
- Conducts traffic stops and issues citations and warnings. Directs traffic including school zones.
- Operates computer information system.
- Investigates citizen complaints. misdemeanor and felony crimes and accidents.
- Makes frequent contact with the public often involving dangerous or mentally unstable people, vicious animals and juveniles sometimes involving physical contact during altercations.
- Exposed to witnessing traumatic injuries and accidents. Administers first-aid.
- Conducts routine search and seizure procedures.
- Transports prisoners and conducts courtroom security.
- Works with other local and State agencies.
- Prepares extensive and grammatically correct written and oral reports.
- Fingerprints persons using both ink and live-scan technology.
- Requests arrest and search warrants.
- Conducts effective and legal investigations and interrogations to obtain necessary information.
- Analyses situations and adopts quick, effective and reasonable courses of action and conflict resolution.
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Minimum education of a High School diploma or equivalent with the scholastic and physical ability to successfully complete the State of Georgia mandated basic police officer training (P.O.S.T.) within one year of employment.
- Must be skilled in written and oral communications, general math, grammar and spelling with the ability to express ideas clearly and concisely.
- Must be computer literate.
- Must successfully complete a background check including criminal history, personal and previous employment references, driving history, and education verification.
- Must pass a basic skills examination, psychological assessment, drug and alcohol screening and a job-related physical examination.
- Must successfully complete the field training program and follow-up evaluation including qualifications for the use of a firearm.
- Must be able to work rotating 12-hour shifts including on-call status, nights, weekends, holidays, court dates and overtime.
- Must possess, or have the ability to obtain, a valid Georgia driver's license with a clean driving record.
- Dependable and punctual with an excellent attendance record.
- Neat and clean personal appearance and attire.
- Ability to perform arduous tasks frequently under strenuous and adverse conditions and hazardous weather often involving personal danger.
- Knowledge of, or the ability to easily learn, the City street system, physical layout and adjacent areas including businesses and residential locations.
- Ability to establish and maintain and effective working relationship with other employees, supervisors and the general public.
For a job description and full review of the duties and qualifications of the position, please visit www.cityofcordele.com.
Interested and qualified candidates may submit an on-line application at www.cityofcordele.com. Application packages can also be picked up at Cordele City Hall, Human Resources - Room 246, 501 7th St., North, Cordele GA 31015. This position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cordele is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all applicants without regards to race, color, religion, sex - including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or genetic information, the presence of a non job-related medical condition or handicap, or any other legally protected status.