Under general administrative direction of the Chief Financial Officer the Controller will plan and direct the accounting operations of the city and supervises all financial accounting, revenue collection, budget, payroll, cash management, investment, accounts payable, and debt management operations. Supervises and directs the Finance Department in accordance with city policies and procedures; appraises and evaluates the performance of department personnel. Prepares various financial reports. Acts as liaison between the city and representatives of the city’s retirement plan. Supervises and directs the purchasing accordance with city policies and procedures. Performs related duties. The Controller also serves to advise the Chief Financial Officer and/or City Administrator in financial matters of the City.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Excellent management and supervisory skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proficient in accounting and tax preparation software.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
- Effective leadership and organizational skills, outstanding oral and written communication and presentation skills, excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Working knowledge of organizations applicable financial practices and procedures, as well as a thorough understanding of state and federal rules and regulations.
- Proficient with accounting software and standard office and accounting equipment.
- Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain within six (6) months of appointment, membership in Georgia Government Finance Officers Association (GGFOA).
- Certified Local Government Finance Officer Program, Level 1 within two (2) years of employment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in public administration, Accounting, Finance, or related field required; CGFO, Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designation preferred.
- Minimum of five years’ experience required in municipal financial management, with increasingly responsible supervisory experience.
- Must be able to pass a credit check.
- Must be proficient in governmental finance theory and concepts, including but not limited to, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standard Board (GASB) statements/pronouncements, and applicable municipal laws and regulations.
- Must be team oriented, with ability to instill a sense of customer service and responsiveness in subordinates.
- Knowledge of fiscal functions and practices of municipalities required.
- Municipal supervisory experience in accounting, cash and investments, debt management, property tax, purchasing, municipal court, and water customer services (utility billing and meter reading) preferred.
- Never been convicted of a felony.
- A citizen of the United States or has obtained legal work status.
- Must meet department’s background requirements.
- Work evenings, weekends and/or holidays as required.
- Must be able to pass a credit check.
- Supervisory Controls/Responsibility:
Oversees the management of the Finance Department to include operations and day-to-day activities of personnel. Oversees the operations of accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, and payroll.
ADDENDUM FOR THE Controller JOB APPLICATION:
To be considered for the CONTROLLER open position, you must complete the following below:
- Complete the Online Job Application
- Upload your Resume to your online job application (The position is open until filled).
Full-Time regular employees are eligible for the City's benefit package.
City Health Insurance Benefits Include:
- Health Insurance-CIGNA HRA
- Health Insurance- Cigna H.S.A.
- Dental – 100% paid by the City for Single Employee
- Flexible Spending Account- TASC
- Short Term Disability-AFLAC-100% City Paid
- Long Term Disability-AFLAC-100% City Paid
- Basic Life- AFLAC- 2.5 Times Base Annual Income City Paid
- Dependent Life- AFLAC- $5,000 for eligible spouse and $2,500 for each eligible child City Paid
- Voluntary Life-AFLAC
- Group Accident-AFLAC
- Group Cancer-AFLAC
- Group Critical Illness-AFLAC
- Wellness Rewards Program-Medical Participant
- Donating Sick Leave
- Education Assistance Program
- EAP Program
- 401 (a) Retirement Plan: City 3% Contribution at 90 days of service
- 457(b) Retirement Plan: City Matching at 90 days of service up to 3% if employee enrolls and contributes at least 3%