This position performs a variety of routine and complex administrative, technical and professional work in analyzing and administering the various components of the employee benefits’ programs for Augusta - Richmond County government. Assists in identifying and analyzing benefits options and recommends business process enhancements. Assists in the coordination and administration of employee benefits program within the guidelines of local, federal, and state laws and departmental policies and procedures. Reports to the Benefits Manager or other designated personnel and works with co-workers, directors, supervisors, employees, attorneys, medical professionals, judges, consultants, and the public to support Augusta’s benefit programs.co-workers, directors, supervisors, employees, attorneys, medical professionals, judges, consultants and the public to support Augusta's benefit programs.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Monitors, coordinates, and verifies benefit data is accurate and coordinates with any external benefit consultants. Implements quality control programs to reduce or eliminate errors in benefits invoices. Assists management in identifying and analyzing benefits options and recommends business process enhancements.
- Works with outside vendors and finance on benefits billings reconciliation and questions. Adjusts discrepancies, ensuring proper charging of costs to offset funds spent for insurance coverage including payroll charges.
- Researches, collects data, conducts benefit surveys, performs analysis, and prepares written reports with documentation for benefits and retirement programs. Prepares annual reports as required by federal and state laws.
- Consults with employees and retirees to explain benefit programs, retirement programs, wellness programs and conduct open enrollments. Maintains benefit records and documentation.
- Processes employee payments for benefit vendors. Assists in maintaining the accuracy of data in the payroll system and employee benefit vendors systems.
- Interfaces directly with insurance carriers to research and resolve benefit eligibility and enrollment issues. Identifies root causes to avoid issue recurrence.
Bachelor’s degree and five (5) years of experience in employee benefits and/or experience in analyzing data,
Associates degree and seven (7) years of experience in employee benefits and/or experience in analyzing data,
High School diploma and eight (9) years of experience in employee benefits and/or experience in analyzing data.
- Considerable knowledge in benefits and retirement.
- Mastery of interpreting relevant federal, state, and local ordinances governing human resources administration and
- management to include FLSA, FMLA, HIPAA, ADA, etc.
- Requires excellent interpersonal and communications skills with a collaborative, consultative and innovative approach to identifying opportunities and solving problems.
- Demonstrated presentation development and delivery skills are required.
- Requires an in-depth understanding of federal, state and local employment laws with the ability to communicate them meaningfully to management.
- Demonstrated skills in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio).
- Excellent communication skills both written and oral.
- Must be detail-oriented and organized.
- Strong time management skills.
- Ability to write reports and make presentations before a large audience.
- Strong customer service skills
- Must have advanced Excel spreadsheet skills, etc.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks.
- Strong people and analytical skills.