Customer Service Accountant
College Park, GA
A successful candidate will play an active role in the City of College Park’s existing operational success. The purpose of the position is to manage customer service activities within the City to service consumer utility and tax accounts.
Independent judgment is required to identify, select and apply the most appropriate available guidelines and procedures and interpret precedents. This position is responsible for supporting the Finance Director by performing the core financial functions of the Customer Service Division including overall financial management, billing, account reconciliations, accounting, budgeting, internal auditing, and financial record keeping.
- Liaison between Customer Service Division, Information Technology Department, and Finance and Accounting Department to identify utility billing software programming and integration issues.
- Evaluates subsidiary ledgers for errors and omissions and enters corrected information into the utility billing system; monitors revenues and expenditures to assure compliance with budgetary limits.
- Prepares, maintains, and reconciles various databases and financial information for analytical and reporting purposes; monitors and evaluates the accuracy and timeliness of data input and output.
- Prepares and maintains monthly, annual utility billing receivable, and revenue reports for enterprise operations.
- Process and review utility billing adjustments and review billing errors to make warranted adjustments.
- Prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting documents; Provides customer service, procedural guidance, and general information to other City employees, vendors, and the public.
- Assists management by providing analysis of special projects and proposals.
- Supervises the Senior Customer Service Representative and Customer Service Representatives.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that logically relate to the position.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of modern principles and practices of governmental accounting administration and its application to basic accounting transactions, with an emphasis on generally accepted accounting principles and auditing standards.
- Knowledge of Federal and State accounting and auditing rules and regulations.
- Skill in communicating detailed accounting information clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work with a certain degree of independence.
- Ability to interpret and apply City policies to operations.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work well with the general public.
- Ability to maintain accounting and clerical records and prepare reports from such records.
- Must be able to use tact and courtesy in dealing with the public.
- Must be able to analyze and evaluate procedures and work processes and exercise appropriate judgment in establishing priorities and work methods.
- Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships and deal effectively and courteously with others, to work independently and in team settings.
- Must be able to type or use a personal computer with word processing and related software and to enter and retrieve information with reasonable speed and accuracy.
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling objects of average weight up to fifty (50) pounds, standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
- Note: In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA), those functions of the job which are identified as essential are required to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations. Requests to facilitate the performance of essential functions will be given careful consideration.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Finance, Accounting, or closely related field; CPA preferred.
- Five (5) years of professional accounting experience required; Utility accounting experience preferred.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Experience in communicating with diverse communities, and in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, as well as knowledge and understanding of the organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Extensive hours and weekends will be required at times.
- Pre-Employment screening is required: criminal background check and drug testing.
College Park, City of (GA)
3667 Main Street
College Park, Georgia, 30337