The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
This position is responsible for operating a truck in the maintenance of City streets, cart paths, storm water system and other infrastructure.
• Performs daily check of tires and fluid levels on vehicle and equipment; performs minor repairs and maintenance as needed.
• Installs storm pipes.
• Pours and patches asphalt.
• Cleans ditches.
• Cuts grass on City right-of-way.
• Pours concrete.
• Operates a variety of equipment, including a street sweeper and road grader.
• Operates a truck to transport dirt and other materials to work sites.
• Installs cones and traffic control devices; flags traffic as needed.
• Responds to after-hours emergencies.
• Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
• Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
Heavy Truck Driver, Public Services
• Knowledge of street construction and maintenance techniques.
• Knowledge of departmental and safety rules and regulations.
• Skill in operating assigned trucks and equipment.
• Skill in establishing safe work zones.
• Skill in the maintenance and repair of a variety of tools and equipment.
• Skill in the use of hand and power tools.
The supervisor assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include City and department policies and procedures. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
• The work consists of related truck driving duties. Inclement weather and heavy traffic contribute to the complexity of the position.
• The purpose of this position is to operate trucks in support of the construction and maintenance of City streets. Successful performance contributes to safe and serviceable infrastructure.
• Contacts are typically with coworkers and members of the general public.
• Contacts are typically to give and exchange information and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
• The work is typically performed while sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light objects and heavy objects. The employee must use tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
• The work is typically performed outdoors. The employee is exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, and inclement weather. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, or gloves.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
Heavy Truck Driver, Public Services
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
• Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of the subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with one to three years experience or service.
• Possession of or ability to obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
• Possession of or ability to obtain a Georgia Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License within one year.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.