The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
JOB TITLE: COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
DEPARTMENT: PLANNING& ZONING
REPORTS TO: MAYOR & COUNCIL
POSITION NUMBER: PZ74100-01
STATUS: EXEMPT GRADE 28
The Community Development Director (CDD) leads the city’s Community Development Department (CDD). The major duties include coordinating, monitoring and supervising planning, building, and community development programs. The CDD administers the city’s zoning ordinance and land development regulations. Works closely with property owners and developers on new projects and expansions. Oversees plan reviews and the issuance of development permits. Supervises the preparation and presentation of planning-related requests to the Mayor and City Council. Prepares and monitors the department budget.
Coordinates and promotes the Downtown Development Authority (DDA) and Main Street Board through facilitating attraction of new businesses, managing leasing and development of DDA properties, and preparing agendas for DDA and Main Street Meetings. Coordination will also require scheduling meetings, formatting marketing materials, budget preparation and purchasing. Coordinates activities using the Main Street 4-Point Approach; ensuring that communication between the committees is well established and assists committees with implementation of work plan items. Fosters an understanding of the Main Street program’s goals and objectives through speaking engagements, media interviews and appearances, while keeping the city highly visible on a local, regional, and state level.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Directs implementation of the Main Street and DDA Program objectives
• Supervises the activities of the department including: planning, building, community development programs, and permits & license
• Administers the city’s zoning ordinance and land development regulations
• Guides writing and preparing grants for downtown development
• Attends all Downtown Development Authority and Main Street Meetings
• Participates actively with merchants and business owners regarding the Central Business District
• Leads marketing, communications, and promotional activities with the development of physical improvements to downtown property
• Focuses on downtown revitalization, heritage preservation and restoring a sense of place
• Recruits and attracts new businesses to the Central Business District and administers funding sources for businesses
• Identifies and maintains inventories of physical, economic, and human resources appropriate for application to the Downtown Development area
• Assists with Special Events and Activities in the downtown area
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Mayor and Council
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must have knowledge of Main Street Program standards, schedules and procedures. A knowledge of Downtown Development Authority statutes, operations, business development strategies, and board procedures. Knowledge of City offices and functions, land and business development, and construction terminology. Display an interest in advancing knowledge and skills through training and initiative. Ability to manage job tasks to meet required deadlines and use good judgment in prioritizing work assignments. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, co-workers, city officials, regulatory agencies and personnel and members of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds regardless of race, religion, age, sex, disability, sexual orientation or political affiliation. Ability to serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with all city ethics and conflicts of interest policies.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university, with major work in Marketing, Planning, Public, or Business Administration, or closely related field
One (1) year of experience in marketing business development
Five (5) years of experience in community development and zoning initiatives preferred
Valid Georgia Driver’s License must be maintained during employment
Apply at City of Auburn, 1369 Fourth Avenue, Auburn, GA or mail to Human Resources, P O Box 1059, Auburn, GA 30011 or Fax: 770-513-9255 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. A resume must be submitted with a city application available at www.cityofauburn-ga.org.
The City of Auburn is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Drug Free Workplace.