The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for an Accountant III. This is a position within the Finance Department.
Under the general direction of the Finance Director, the Accountant performs a variety of professional level duties involved in coordinating various accounting activities; analyzes and reconciles complex financial transactions; maintains the accuracy of the City’s ledgers and financial systems, prepares and maintains accurate financial records and reports; assists in the preparation of assigned budgets, annual audit and year end closing. He/she will perform accounting activities such as financial, payroll, billing, accounts payable, receivable, purchase cards, ACH wire, leases, taxes, permits, license and collections within the department.
Essential Job Functions:
• Maintains the accuracy of general, revenue and expenditure, grant/project ledgers and financial systems.
• Reconciles financial ledgers and records; prepares financial statements and reports, payroll and other accounting records and transactions; analyzes and audits transactions for proper account classification; researches and resolves discrepancies.
• Prepares journal entries for recoding in the accounting system.
• Prepares and reviews a variety of monthly, periodic and annual financial, accounting, budgetary and statistical studies and reports.
• Participates in fiscal year-end audit activities, including preparation of financial statements.
• Coordinates financial related activities with other City departments and with other outside agencies; prepares worksheets and schedules: compiles data and records.
• Audits accounting systems and procedures to ensure proper internal control and compliance with established policies.
• Answers questions and provides information to callers, visitors, and members of the City Council, and responds to complaints. Directs callers to appropriate personnel.
• Assists in determining appropriate software programs for office and troubleshoots software problems.
• Establishes and maintains a hard copy and computer filing and record-keeping systems for correspondence, reports and other information.
• Prepares or assists with the preparation of scheduled and/or ad hoc statistical and narrative reports. Performs basic information gathering and analysis and/or forecasting, as specifically directed, and in accordance with pre-established procedures.
• Assists finance director in problem solving, project planning, and development and execution of stated goals and objectives.
• Writes policies and procedures for entering and reconciling various accounts, billings, lease purchase, payroll and AP.
• Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, business administration or a related field.
• Level I Certification in Carl Vinson Institute classes.
• Five (5) of governmental accounting experience and prior supervisory experience, required.
• Previous experience in the preparation of the CAFR, as well as governmental agency reporting to Department of Audits and Department of Community Affairs.
• Or equivalent education, and/or experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Principles and practices of general and municipal government accounting and budgeting.
• Principles and practices of accounting and auditing including general ledger, debit, credit, journal entries and audit procedures.
• Experience with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
• Knowledge of advanced mathematical principles.
• Knowledge of federal, state and local codes, laws and regulations.
• Reconcile and adjust financial statements with the general ledger.
• Develop and implement efficient accounting procedures and internal controls.
• Perform mathematical calculations quickly and accurately.
• Research, analyze and reconcile complex financial data and transactions.
• Prepare and maintain accurate financial statements, records and reports.
• Skill in the operation of a computer, utilizing database, spreadsheet, and word processing software.
• Ability to compile and prepare narrative and statistical reports.
• Ability to read and interpret laws and regulations and follow established policies and procedures.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee is occasionally required to walk.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee sits in an office or computer room.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• The employee regularly works in a normal office environment.
• The employee may perform some duties outdoors while conducting official business which will require limited local travel.
• Employee may be required to attend some evening and weekend meetings, and may be required to assist in special events.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.p >