The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for a Part-time Recreation Leader. This is an entry-level position within the Parks and Recreation Department. This position is considered "Continuous Part Time", working up to 25 hours per week on a regular schedule of Monday – Sunday.
The purpose of this classification is to assist with day-to-day operations and activities of the assigned recreation center.
Essential Job Functions:
• Performs customer service functions; answers incoming telephone calls; provides assistance and information related to department programs, activities, procedures, forms, fees, or other issues; distributes activity schedules, registration forms, or other documents; responds to routine questions/complaints, researches problems, and initiates problem resolution.
• Receives monies in payment of program/activity fees, deposits, or other fees/services: records transactions and issues receipts; makes bank deposits or forwards revenues as appropriate.
• Maintains current schedule of all activities in the recreation center; reserves use of meeting rooms or other facilities by individuals/groups or for scheduled activities; updates and posts activity schedules and room reservation schedules.
• Registers individuals to participate in recreational programs/classes or utilize recreational facilities; reviews registration forms or applications for use of facilities; collects appropriate fees; assists in creating participant rosters for each activity; maintains records of program registrations.
• Monitors individuals or organizations using recreation facilities or participating in recreational programs; oversees league play; assists instructors with class setup and participants roster sheets; assists in explaining rules, regulations, and policies to program participants; assists in responding to situations involving excessive noise, inappropriate language/actions, disruptive behavior, or other problems.
• Performs facility opening/closing procedures; unlocks recreation center facilities each morning; locks/secures facilities in evening.
• Oversees and coordinates daily facility operations; sets up tables, chairs, or other equipment for classes/activities; performs sweeping, mopping, and general housekeeping tasks to maintain cleanliness of facilities.
• Performs routine safety inspections of building facilities, grounds, and equipment; inspects facilities to ensure timely preparation for scheduled activities; identifies malfunctioning equipment, damage/vandalism, potential safety hazards, or other problems; initiates appropriate corrective action or reports problems to supervisory staff.
• Responds to emergency situations in relation to recreation center operations and activities.
• Prepares or completes various forms, reports, correspondence, receipts, activity/event schedules, meeting room schedules, rosters, work orders, safety checklists, or other documents.
• Receives various forms, reports, correspondence, payments, opening/closing checklists, registration forms, reservation requests, rule books, policies, procedures, instructional materials, manuals, reference materials, or other documentation; reviews, completes, processes, forwards or retains as appropriate.
• Operates a City computer, general office equipment, athletic equipment, or other equipment as necessary to complete essential functions; utilizes word processing, spreadsheet, database, email, Internet, or other programs specific to Brookhaven Parks & Recreation operations.
• Communicates with supervisor, other departments, employees, class instructors, coaches, sporting officials, athletic organizations, programs registrants/participants, parents, vendors, the public, community organizations, outside organizations, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
• Provides information to the community regarding recreation/ athletic programs, activities, facilities, schedules, fees, and related issues.
• Attends various meetings as instructed; attends meetings of private athletic organizations regarding use of City facilities.
• Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, and guidelines; masters City of Brookhaven and Brookhaven Parks & Recreation policies, procedures, rules and regulations, maintains an awareness of new trends and advances in the profession; reads professional literature; maintains professional affiliations; attends conferences, workshops, and training sessions as appropriate.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Data Utilization: Requires the ability to calculate and/or tabulate data. Includes performing subsequent actions in relation to these computational operations.
• Human Interactions: Requires the ability to provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others regarding the application of procedures and standards to specific situations.
• Equipment, Machinery, Tools, and Materials Utilization: Requires the ability to start, stop, operate and monitor the functioning of equipment, machinery, tools, and /or materials used in performing essential functions.
• Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference and descriptive data and information.
• Mathematical Aptitude: Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
• Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of rational systems; to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, or schedule form; and to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives.
• Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving the evaluation of information against sensory, judgmental, or subjective criteria, as opposed to that which is clearly measurable or verifiable.
Minimum eighteen (18) years of age; high school diploma or an acceptable equivalency diploma; supplemented by a minimum of six (6) months of experience, volunteering, teaching, leading or training involving recreation facility operations; customer service, working in a public setting and/or general office work; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Ability to pass a criminal background check. A valid Georgia Drivers License is required upon appointment. American Red Cross certification (or equivalent) in Adult, Child and Infant Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), AED and First Aid is required and must be completed within six months of hire.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee is occasionally required to walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel and crouch.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works outdoors.
• Exposure to all types of weather and will work around light and heavy equipment.
• Employee may be required to attend evening and weekend meetings, and may be required to assist in special events and tournaments.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.p >