The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
Reporting to the Road Director, this position is responsible for operating a truck to haul equipment and materials to and from work sites. This position may perform a variety of laboring tasks and operate equipment when not operating a dump truck.
Salary: $16.30/Hourly to $19.10/Hourly DOE/DOQ
Posting: Until Filled
Submit resume to Bartow County HR via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail to Bartow County Human Resources, 135 West Cherokee Avenue, St. 256, Cartersville, Ga. 30120
• Operates a tandem dump truck to haul gravel, dirt, and other materials to work sites. • Operates a loader to load and unload trucks. • Assists with patching potholes. • Flags traffic at work sites. • Performs maintenance on the truck, including checking fluid levels. • Operates an asphalt distributor, tanker truck and other equipment as needed. • Operates a snow plow to remove snow from roadways. • Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
• Knowledge of county and departmental policies and procedures pertaining to road and drainage system maintenance and improvement. • Knowledge of county safety policies and procedures. • Knowledge of defensive driving techniques. • Skill in operating a tandem dump truck. • Skill in operating such equipment as a front-end loader, backhoe, and other related equipment. • Skill in using such tools as a shovel, post-hole digger, chainsaw, and chipper.
The supervisor assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results. GUIDELINES Guidelines include county and departmental policies and procedures, work orders, and supervisory instructions. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
• The work consists of related truck operation duties. Heavy traffic and inclement weather contributes to the complexity of the position. • The purpose of the position is to operate a tandem dump truck to haul dirt and other materials to work sites. Successful performance facilitates the construction and maintenance of county roads.
• Contacts are typically with co-workers and the general public. • Contacts are typically to provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
• The work is typically performed while sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee must lift light and heavy objects, climb ladders, and use tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity. • The work is typically performed in a vehicle and outdoors. The employee may be exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, and inclement weather. The work may require the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, or gloves.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education. • Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years. • Possession of a valid CDL Class - B driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.p >