City of Cordele, Georgia
Closing Date: Until Position is Filled
The City of Cordele, a local municipal government in south Georgia serving a population of approximately 12,000 citizens, is actively searching for Plant Operator candidates. Located 100 miles north of the Florida state line, and served by three exits on Interstate 75, Cordele is the commercial hub of Crisp County and offers excellent growth opportunities for hotels, restaurants, retail, recreational and healthcare facilities.
A skilled technical position that requires advanced knowledge in wastewater control and mechanical operations of a water and wastewater plant, plumbing, electrical motors and other mechanical equipment. Under the direct supervision of the Superintendent of Operations.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
Performs manual and technical tasks that require physical stamina and the use of common hand tools and equipment, their maintenance and general applications. Maintains a high level of skills and knowledge of wastewater operations as required by the State of Georgia. Duties are performed outdoors and subject to exposure to moving machinery, inclement weather, extreme heat, dust, fumes and bio-hazardous matter. The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Conducts physical periodic tours of the treatment facility.
- Maintains an operator shift log which records measurements such as flow, amps on motors and equipment in use.
- Attends courses as required by the State of Georgia to obtain and/or maintain certification and a high level of knowledge in plant operations.
- Performs basic laboratory tests such as Ph, dissolved oxygen, temperatures and chlorine residual. Records lab findings neatly and accurately.
- Secures samples from various locations in the plant for lab analysis and biological process control.
- Operates and maintains valves, chemical feeders, electrical motors, pumps and sump pumps.
- Repairs and reconditions pumps including impeller repair or replacement.
- Reads instrument graph charts and maintains appropriate logs.
- Checks wells, water tanks and lift stations daily and records findings.
- Safely handles chemicals such as chlorine, fluoride and lime.
- Makes emergency repairs to equipment.
- Operates and maintains equipment for grounds and building maintenance including push and riding lawnmower, weedeater, electric saw, drill press and other power tools.
- Often works independently exercising good judgement.
- Works department hours including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Minimum education of a high school diploma or equivalent with good written and oral communication skills including spelling and knowledge of general math.
- Must be skilled in the proper and safe use of hand tools, power tools and their maintenance.
- Must be familiar with computers and software applications.
- Must have successfully passed the Georgia Wastewater Operator III certification, or have the ability to obtain certification within 24 months of employment.
- Must complete a City of Cordele employment application.
- Must successfully complete a background check including criminal and driver history, personal and previous employer references.
- Must pass a drug and alcohol screen and a job-related physical examination.
- Must possess, or have the ability to obtain, a valid Georgia driver's license.
- Dependable and punctual with an excellent attendance record.
- Neat and clean personal appearance and attire.
- Ability to perform arduous tasks frequently under strenuous and adverse conditions including hazardous weather.
- Knowledge of, or the ability to easily learn, the City street system, physical layout and adjacent areas.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with other employees, supervisors and the general public.
For a complete job description and full review of the duties and qualifications of the position, please visit www.cityofcordele.com.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an online application available at www.cityofcordele.com. Application packages are also available for pick up at Cordele City Hall, Human Resources - Room 246, 501 7th Street, North, Cordele GA 31015. This position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cordele is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all applicants without regards to race, color, religion, sex- including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, disability or genetic information, the presence of a non-job related medical condition or handicap, or any other protected status.