Responsible for monthly financial reporting, the annual budget process and the annual audit. Monitors internal control procedures, evaluates the use of assets within the department, supervises processing and verifying of financial transactions, monitors accounts, and supervises other general accounting duties as directed within generally accepted accounting principles and county and departmental policies. Reports to the Fiscal Officer and works with co-workers, auditors, vendors, and public to provide accurate and accessible records. Performs all other duties as assigned.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reviews budget-to-actual reports, assists with the preparation of the annual budget and monitors all accounting activity including budgets and expenditures for all capital improvements. Prepares journal entries to integrate the accounts receivable/billing system into the general ledger and prepares reconciliation of the general ledger to the accounts receivable/billing system monthly.
- Analyzes reports, assists in preparing monthly financial reports, and is responsible for ensuring that financial policies, such as billing and collection, are adhered to by reviewing and monitoring accounts.
- Supervises all payroll activities for the department.
- Initiates, supervises, and monitors the cost accounting neighborly system contracts.
- Assists with the preparation of the annual audit. Works with external auditors and co-workers with additional accounting duties as directed.
Education: Based on years of experience.
Experience: Five (5) years of experience dealing with accounting principles and procedures, budgeting, and supervisory experience, preferably in a municipal government setting with an Associate degree OR three (3) years of experience with a Bachelor's degree.
- Considerable familiarity with federal, state, and local grant program regulations
- Understanding of regulatory compliance issues and monitoring
- General knowledge of federal programs
- Proficiency in review of budgets, financial and program reporting documents
- Thorough understanding of principles and practices of program management
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Computer skills
- Possession of a valid driver’s license with good driving history. If State license is other than Georgia or South Carolina, applicant must obtain a license in Georgia or South Carolina within 30 days of employment.
- Data Utilization: Requires the ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize, and/or analyze data. Includes exercising discretion in determining data classification, and in referencing such analysis to established standards for the purpose of recognizing actual or probable interactive effects and relationships.
- Human Interaction: Requires the ability to work with and apply principles of persuasion and/or influence over others to coordinate programs or activities of a project, and resolve typical problems associated with the responsibilities of the job.
- Equipment: Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Verbal: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information.
- Math: Requires the ability to perform basic mathematical calculations; calculate decimals and percentages; utilize principles of fractions; and interpret graphs.
- Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of rational systems; to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form; and to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives.
- Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
- Physical Abilities: Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
- Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
- Environmental Factors: Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.