JOB TITLE: Chief Accountant
DEPARTMENT: Administration, City of Washington
JOB SUMMARY: This position serves as senior ranking accountant for the city; reports directly to the City Administrator.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience.
- Performs in-house accounting for the city, including maintaining financial records for all city funds.
- Coordinates city financial activities with City Administrator and City Clerk.
- Prepares monthly financial statements in accordance with GAAP and federal, state, and local laws.
- Performs research, attends seminars, and stays current with emerging standards in accounting procedures and applicable laws and regulations.
- Compiles monthly journal entries, verifies account balances for month-end financial reports, and allocates administrative expenses to proprietary funds.
- Assigns workers’ compensation, liability insurance, health insurance, and retirement contributions to appropriate departments and funds.
- Assists in preparation of city budget appropriations and revenue estimates; monitors expenditures and revenues under current budget.
- Monitors cash flow in all funds; makes transfers as necessary.
- Assists with Occupational Tax Billing and property tax billing; prepares tax files.
- Assists in the preparation of annual audit report.
- Receives utility, tax, and license payments, new customer work orders, and work orders for other departments.
- Reconciles bank statements, cash receipts, and cash disbursements; prepares bank deposits.
- Reconciles receivables and payables with the general ledger monthly.
- Provides backup and assistance regarding the petty cash fund.
- Monitors compliance of grant expenditures; reconciles to the general ledger; maintains all grant documents, paperwork, and correspondence.
- Assists in handling federal and state grant outlays; prepares status reports.
- Verifies workers’ compensation and liability insurance payments.
- Oversees preparation of sales and use tax reports for the state.
- Serves as backup Payroll Coordinator; prepares payroll reports and tax payments; calculates withholding, insurance, and personal deductions.
- Prepares all state and federal tax and payroll reports.
- Prepares checks for the payment of overall withholdings.
- Coordinates with City Clerk to ensure proper chain of secure personnel records, leave balances, time sheets, promotions, discharges, wage scales, and salaries.
- Implements and maintains the capital asset system and related records and documents.
- Accounts for garnishments, child support payments, and other deductions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Knowledge of city and departmental policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of municipal fund accounting and cost accounting.
- Knowledge of relevant federal and state laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of city ordinances, codes, policies, and procedures.
- Skill in operating standard office equipment such as computer, calculator, scanner/copier.
- Skill in use of Microsoft Office 365 (Excel, Word, Outlook) and accounting software.
- Skill in report preparation and records maintenance.
- Oral and written communication skills.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The City Administrator assigns work in terms of department goals and objectives. Work is reviewed through conferences, reports, and observation of department activities.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include the city charter, relevant state and federal laws, city policies and procedures, and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY: The work consists of varied complex accounting and human resource functions. Frequent interruptions, strict deadlines, and the variety issues requiring attention contribute to the complexity of the work.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: This position performs complex fiscal management activities related to city funds and supports human resources management functions. Successful performance helps ensure the accuracy of city financial transactions and the fiscal stability of the city.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in an office. The position is based in City Hall located at 102 E. Liberty Street, Washington, GA 30673.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: Supervises the Accounts Payable Clerk.
- Knowledge and competency commonly associated with a person who has earned a baccalaureate degree in accounting and/or business.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions and to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with at least three years’ experience.
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain advertised until the vacancy is filled.