The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
City of Brunswick Job Opportunity
Job Title: Director of Neighborhood and Community Services
Department/Div: Community Development FLSA: Exempt
Reports to: City Manager EEO-4 Code:
Supervises: CDBG, Community Dev.,NCS Date: 08/01/2022
Salary Range: $68,581 - $88,531
This position is responsible for directing the operations and programs of the Neighborhood and Community Services Department.
1. Provides leadership, direction, and instruction in the development and implementation of short- and long-term plans and projects.
2. Coordinates with state and local agencies to ensure compliance with all regulations, guidelines, policies, and procedures.
3. Manages and monitors the progress of grant funded projects to ensure the proper usage of funds and compliance with program guidelines.
4. Coordinates department activities with other departments and agencies.
5. Prepares reports and other documents reflecting the status of projects, the results of research or surveys, and/or recommendations for action.
6. Meets with official neighborhood planning and community groups to discuss and coordinate public service projects and programs; communicates with city official and staff to address related issues.
7. Develops and administers annual department budget; controls expenditures to ensure budgetary compliance.
8. Hires, trains, assigns, directs, supervises, evaluates, and disciplines personnel.
9. Provides information to the public, community groups, and the City Commission regarding department and grant opportunities.
10. Coordinates with community agencies to analyze community needs and to represent the city government.
11. Performs related duties.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
1. Knowledge of neighborhood and community service program development and management principles.
2. Knowledge of grant management principles.
3. Knowledge of senior citizen and youth populations and their service needs.
4. Knowledge of performance measurement and quality assurance principles.
5. Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
6. Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
7. Skill in organizing and directing the activities of personnel.
8. Skill in management and supervision.
9. Skill in the development and implementation of strategic plans and goals.
10. Skill in working with a variety of professional and community stakeholders.
11. Skill in oral and written communication.
Director of Neighborhood and Community Services,
The City Manager assigns work in terms of department goals and objectives. The supervisor reviews work through conferences, reports, and observation of department activities.
Guidelines include COB policies and procedures, CDBG policies and procedures, Coastal Regional Commission policies and procedures, HUD regulations, CHIP policies and procedures, and city and department policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application. This position develops department guidelines.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
• The work consists of varied management and supervisory duties. The necessity of coordinating activities with a variety of external agencies contributes to the complexity of the position.
• The purpose of this position is to direct the development and implementation of neighborhood and community service programs. Success in this position contributes to the provision of community services and ensures compliance with all relevant grant and other guidelines.
• Contacts are typically with co-workers, other city employees, elected and appointed officials, representatives of community groups and external agencies, and members of the general public.
• Contacts are typically to provide services; to give or exchange information; to resolve problems; to motivate or influence persons; or to justify, defend or negotiate matters.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
• The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing, walking, or stooping.
• The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
This position has final responsibility and authority for the accomplishment of objectives, utilization of resources, and personnel administration decisions within a major area, department, or unit.
• Master’s degree in a course of study related to the occupational field required.
• More than five years of related experience required.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.