City of Cordele, Georgia
Closing Date: Until position is filled.
The City of Cordele, a local municipal government in South Georgia serving a population of approximately 12,000 citizens, is actively searching for City Clerk candidates.
A skilled clerical position responsible for maintaining office records and files pertaining to ordinances, taxation, licensing, cemetery lots, City Charter, public inquiries and other information. Under the direct supervision of the City Manager.
Performs all necessary tasks to administer and enforce the duties and responsibilities required of the City Clerk's office. Some examples of these duties are:
- Prepares reports and studies as required the City Manager, City Commission or City Code.
- Issues various permits and licenses such as business license, alcohol license, yard sale permits, picketing permits, etc., and collects appropriate fees.
- Maintains records of cemetery lots, plots, maps and sales.
- Maintains an up-to-date code of ordinances and charter.
- Participates in the administration of municipal elections.
- Records, edits and files the minutes of meetings and distributes to appropriate officials or staff members.
- Plans and directs the maintenance, filing and safekeeping of municipal documents.
- Prepares meeting agendas and packets of related information.
- Prepares ordinances, resolutions or proclamations so they can be executed, recorded, archived or distributed.
- Responds to requests for information from the public, other municipalities, state officials or state and federal legislative offices.
- Performs general office duties such as taking or transcribing dictation, typing and proofreading correspondence, distributing or filing official forms or scheduling appointments.
- Coordinates and maintains office tracking system for correspondence or follow-up actions.
- Researches information in archives upon request of officials, employees or citizens.
- Performs contract administration duties, assisting with bid openings or the awarding of contracts.
- Conducts or arranges for orientation, training and programs for candidates and incumbents of political office.
- Prepares reports on civic needs.
- Works independently on confidential assignments.
- Other duties as may be required from time to time.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Minimum education of a high school diploma or equivalent with excellent written and oral communication skills including spelling, grammar, punctuation and general math.
- Prior City Clerk experience preferred but not required.
- Must possess, or have the ability to obtain within two years of employment, City Clerk certification.
- Must have advanced knowledge of computerized bookkeeping and accounting systems.
- Must complete a City employment application.
- Must pass a background check including previous employer and personal references.
- Must be able to work department hours and occasional overtime.
- Must be able to travel out of town for training, seminars, meetings, etc., with the possibility of overnight stays.
- Must pass a job-related physical examination.
- Must possess, or have the ability to obtain, a valid Georgia driver's license with a clean driving record.
For a complete job description and full review of duties and qualifications of the position, please visit www.cityofcordele.com.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an online application available at www.cityofcordele.com. Application packages are also available at Cordele City Hall, Human Resources - Room 246, 501 7th St., North, Cordele GA 31015. This position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cordele is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all applicants without regards to race, color, religion, sex - including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or genetic information, the presence of a non job-related medical condition or handicap, or any other protected status.