This person in this position oversees the planning, organizing and supervision of a diversified program of athletics, games and sports for all age groups. This position also assists in the operational management of the Parks and Recreation Department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Plans, evaluates and coordinates athletic activities including: scheduling facilities, ensuring facilities are set up, and scheduling trips;
- Assists with budget preparation and proposals for respective area;
- Provides direction to and supervises seasonal and volunteer staff, including selecting, monitoring, training, scheduling and determining workloads; assists with hiring, disciplinary and evaluation processes;
- Assists in the development, recommendation and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the assigned recreation area(s);
- Monitors the day-to-day operations of athletic activities, including making site visits, handling and resolving complaints and ensuring that programs and events have required materials and supplies;
- Formulates and organizes program plans and schedules seasonal athletic activities;
- Supervises the issuance, use, care and maintenance of recreation supplies and equipment;
- Creates program flyers, brochures, catalogs and newsletters; assists with putting recreation information on television and website;
- Works with neighborhood community groups on matters of civic and recreation interest
- Creates, handles, and manages facility use agreements with affiliates and community partners
- Interact and coordinates with residents and other City Departments:
- Acts as liaison with other athletic organizations, clubs, and special interest groups;
- Solicits, trains and supervises volunteers for athletic/recreational programs;
- Enforces rules and regulations for the safety and welfare of staff and participants;
- Supervises the work of assigned recreation personal and outside groups conducting recreation activities;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Recreation Administration or related field; Two (2) years of progressively responsible professional experience demonstrating an effective understanding of recreation management, with extensive knowledge and skills to manage diverse programs and employees; or an equivalent combination education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the organization, development, and maintenance of a comprehensive municipal park and recreation system;
- Knowledge of budgetary procedures and general governmental finance.
- Skilled in using independent judgment and discretion;
- Skilled in oral and written communications;
- Skilled in prioritizing, scheduling and delegating assignments;
- Skilled in operating modern office equipment;
- Ability to manage the financial activities of a park and recreation department, including long- and short-range planning and analysis, performance studies, and budget development;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and programs;
- Ability to organize, instruct, and supervise employees;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective and courteous working relationships with staff, the general public and other City employees;
- Financial Responsibilities: Accept, receive, and/or collect payments; prepare and/or process purchase orders; accountable for inventory/property management; make recommendations that impact the budget; manage the budget within assigned unit/division;
CERTIFICATION, LICENSE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires CPR and First Aid.
The work is medium work and requires crouching, hearing, lifting, speaking, talking, visual acuity, and walking.
Incumbent regularly make decisions that could lead to major community or organizational consequences if there is a failure to make the appropriate decision at the time.