DEPARTMENT: Community Development, City of Cartersville
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for inspecting residential, industrial, and commercial construction work for compliance with applicable codes and ordinances. This position may be designated as a Building Inspector I or II.
- Reviews development plans, including schematic building and site drawings to ensure compliance with building, gas, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and other codes and ordinances.
- Inspects all phases of commercial and residential construction and remodeling; performs electrical, mechanical plumbing, gas, footing, slab, setback and structural inspections for compliance with building codes and zoning regulations.
- Assists with the issuance of building permits.
- Maintains files of inspections, re-inspections, notes, and required reports.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of all relevant local, state, and federal regulations and guidelines.
- Knowledge of federal and state building codes and safety requirements.
- Knowledge of the theories, principles, and practices of commercial, industrial, and residential construction.
- Knowledge of structural, electrical, gas, mechanical, plumbing, and fire prevention codes for building construction.
- Knowledge of construction industry standards.
- Knowledge of the geography, subdivisions, and streets of the city.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Electrical background in commercial and industrial applications.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of specialized training in the occupational field, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions and to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with one to three years of experience or service.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver's license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a State of Ga. Non-restricted Electrical License.
- Possession of or ability to obtain the appropriate certifications for the type of inspection(s) conducted within six months.
Interested in applying? Please submit a letter of interest and resume in PDF format only to Human Resources in person at 1. North Erwin St. Cartersville, GA 30120 or email documents to HR@CityofCartersville.org. Or you may apply online via this link: https://www.cityofcartersville.org/hr/page/building-inspector
Please call Human Resources at 770-387-5685 if you have any questions about how to apply.
The City of Cartersville is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or any other protected status.