JOB TITLE: Public Relations and Communications Manager
DEPARTMENT: Administration, City of Cartersville
JOB SUMMARY: This position performs a variety of professional, technical, and administrative duties in the planning, organizing, coordinating, and maintenance of long-term strategic, and city-wide programs providing consistent public information, public relations, marketing, and promotion of the City. Promotes and publishes information via graphic design, social media platforms, email and alert communications, website and app management about the City and departments to inform the community in a positive and meaningful way, as directed by the City Manager.
- Plans, develops, and implements a comprehensive, city-wide communications and marketing plan for the City, including brand-appropriate public relations, internal and external communications, media relations, special events, and other initiatives, with a primary focus on developing relationships with the public using social/new media.
- Actively explores and identifies new avenues for marketing the City’s programs, services and accomplishments, and communicating effectively and creatively with the community and the media.
- Serves as main point of contact for news media in both emergency and non-emergency situations, excluding police activities; maintains contact with the media, coordinates interviews with City officials; answers specific inquiries from the media and the general public regarding City business.
- Engage public through Social Media platforms, including Facebook and YouTube accounts; evaluates website, social media, and app analytics, generates reports and creates daily posts to maintain citizen engagement.
- Measures and evaluates communications program effectiveness and impact and makes adjustments as needed to improve internal and external communications. Keeps information on all digital platforms and media relative and up-to-date.
- Maintains website content, design, and voice to ensure website is functional, accurate, and up-to-date. Collaborates with all city departments and external vendors to ensure the website aligns with the brand strategy and meets the City’s standards.
- Assists employees with the use of the City’s website through one-on-one support, user guides, and training.
- Reviews all digital platforms and media, including social media, to ensure all City Departments are adhering to City Policies.
- Advises City management regarding public information, communication and marketing strategies.
- Serves as liaison to various agencies to help promote the City and its community partners.
- Develops effective strategies to address potential issues which may impact the City’s image in the short, medium, and long-term.
- Prepares a variety of documents and publications, including but not limited to newsletters, press releases, annual reports, strategic plan documents, presentations, calendars, flyers, and brochures. Writes and/or edits articles and headlines, designs, layouts, and creates graphics.
- Assists in the preparation and execution of special City events, including citizen survey, groundbreakings, ribbon cuttings, news conferences, holiday programs and other events.
- Manages the parade, special events and film permitting process.
- Develops and maintains text, illustrative slides, and audio/visual media for public presentations summarizing City government; makes slide presentations as requested by City officials.
- Advises and coordinates with city departments on strategic communications issues, including ways the City can be positively positioned and portrayed in the news media, social media, the community, and other government agencies.
- Participates in City Council meetings, works with staff to post meeting videos and announcements across the appropriate digital formats in a timely manner (regular evening meetings required).
- Seeks out and participates in continuing education opportunities related to public and media relations, newsletter writing/editing/layout and other disciplines that support the City’s mission and goals.
- Manages app submissions and creates notifications to distribute to citizens.
- Maintains website with fresh content daily.
- Requests and utilizes citizen-submitted photos for marketing [website, app, Facebook, etc.]
- Oversees all of website’s webform submissions.
- Manages job and Bids/RFP’s postings across multiple platforms.
- Designs print and digital advertisements, as well as city swag.
- Addresses requests from department Directors, City Council, citizens
- Manages Marketing & Printing accounts.
- Works closely with each Director to maintain updated information on each section of website.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Advanced knowledge of all aspects of external and internal communications, including, but not limited to, traditional and social media, mail, newsletters, blogs, online communications, video, press releases, and event communications.
- Ability to utilize specialized graphic design platforms, desktop publishing, and word processing software
- Knowledge of video/audio production for PowerPoint presentations.
- Advanced knowledge of non-linear editing, cameras, lights, and studio operation.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Skills in handling critical communications with media representatives, public officials, civic organizations, etc.
- Effectively using principles of written communication, graphical layout and multimedia techniques appropriate to web-based and other electronic communication, ensuring that work products are clear, usable and effectively convey the intended messages and information.
- Understanding trends in marketing, identity building, and communication strategies for governmental organizations and their related enterprise operations.
- Ability to establish and maintain working relations with elected officials, other employees, and the general public.
- Requires a Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, communication, marketing, advertising or related area and or equivalent experience in a Public Relations/Media Relations position.
- At least three years of professional experience in marketing, public relations, communications, website and graphic design, and social media management with verifiable results.
- Social Media marketing and advertising experience is highly desired.
- Experience in marketing and promoting governmental programs preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in creation of video and audio presentations.
- Demonstrated experience in making public presentations.
Interested in applying? Please submit a letter of interest, application, and/or resume in PDF format only to Human Resources in person at 1 North Erwin St. Cartersville, GA 30120 or email documents to HR@CityofCartersville.org. Or apply online here: https://www.cityofcartersville.org/hr/page/public-relations-and-communications-manager
Please call Human Resources at 770-387-5685 if you have any questions.