The City of Stone Mountain is a suburb of Atlanta, GA and has a 2020 population of approximately 6,500 residents. The City encompasses 1.7 square miles and is mostly residential with an authentic and active downtown. The City abuts Stone Mountain Park but the park is not in the city limits. The City is governed by a Mayor and Council elected city-wide and is established as a Council-Manager form of government.
The City is looking for a strong, collaborative and progressive Chief of Police.
The Chief of Police works under the general direction of the City Manager and will be responsible for the administrative and functional supervision, direct and indirect, of 17 employees. The Chief must plan, implement, administer, coordinate, monitor, and evaluate all functions and services of the Stone Mountain Police Department. This includes operating policies and procedures, developing and modifying services and systems in accordance with city needs and resources, as well as changing laws and professional standards and ethics. The Chief will administer the Police budget: develops, requests, and administers an annual department operating budget of approximately $1.6 million.
Needs and Expectations
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication
- Ability to establish and maintain productive relationships with a full range of community stakeholders
- Collaborate with the extensive community service network in Stone Mountain, including the partnership with the DeKalb County School District
- Strong commitment to take Stone Mountain PD forward in developing and improving policies and moving toward accredidation with the Georgia Chiefs Association and CALEA.
- Serve as a liaison with other external organizations, consistent with the city objectives of collaboration, development of relationships that involve trust and a willingness to work together
- Effective leadership style that actively welcomes diversity that is reflective of the community in terms of culture, education, race, sexual orientation, gender, language, and age
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the perceptions of their employees and the overall community pertaining to crime and safety
- Conduct or oversee staff training
- Confer regularly with supervisors and staff to plan, coordinate and evaluate activities, policies, and systems
- Assign and review work; assist with difficult or unusual tasks, resolve problems, plan work schedules; and oversee payroll
- Developing policy, procedures, and practices that align with modern, professional standards
- Associate's and/or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Current POST certification, or an out-of-state certification that can transfer to Georgia in accordance with the state law.
- Thorough knowledge of statutes and ordinances relating to law enforcement
- Ten years of law enforcement experience with a minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience at the command level
- Completion of the FBI National Academy or commensurate professional development
- Master’s degree in criminal justice or closely related public policy/social science area (e.g., public policy, public administration, public safety, etc.)
- Effective communicator with a strong ability to provide and engage in a common supportive language with all stakeholders
- Demonstrated community policing focus
To apply, please send a resume and a two-sentence statement of interest to Darnetta Tyus, City Manager at email@example.com. First review of resumes will be October 25, 2022. Position is open until filled.