This person in this position is responsible for assisting Laborers II and III in the general maintenance and cleaning in an assigned city department or area. Duties include assisting in the routine and regular cleaning sanitizing, sweeping, mopping and vacuuming of floors and making minor equipment and facility repairs. Public Services department laborers are responsible for the maintenance of City roads, streets, and other areas of designated right of way.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Conducts light janitorial duties that include wiping down tables after use; vacuuming; dusting baseboards, window sills, furniture, etc.; cleaning interior windows as necessary; replacing paper towels and toilet paper in dispensers as required;
- Monitors hallways and grounds to ensure security as well as cleanliness;
- Reports any repairs required for safety or security reasons;
- Acts as a liaison for ongoing activities occurring in the conference center.
- Sets up and breaks down conference center for upcoming events
- Provide additional support for Laborers II & III and the Community and Downtown Services Staff.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires a High School Diploma or equivalent.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of materials commonly used in construction, maintenance, and repair activities as related to assigned areas;
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, standard cleaning methods and operation of equipment used in custodial work such as brooms, mops, dust mops, vacuums, scouring devices, and wax applicators;
- Ability to use simple hand tools;
- Ability to operate trucks and other maintenance equipment such as mowers, chain saws, hedge trimmers, paint spray guns, hand tools, Chalker for ballparks, and hand and power saws;
- Ability to follow written and/or verbal job assignments and/or crew assignments;
- Ability to obtain a valid CDL license with proper endorsements as required or necessary;
- Ability to perform routine, repetitive tasks on a continuous basis;
- Ability to exert continuous physical effort including frequent bending, walking, manipulating and heavy lifting of equipment.
CERTIFICATION, LICENSE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires a valid Georgia Driver’s License.
The work requires heavy lifting, climbing, crawling, crouching, feeling, grasping, handling, hearing, pushing, pulling, reaching, speaking, standing for a long period of time, talking, visual activity and walking for a long period of time.
The employee frequently lifts light objects and uses tools or equipment requiring dexterity.
The incumbent works in a relatively safe, secure, and stable work environment.