This person in this position is responsible for coordinating, scheduling and leading participants in a variety of recreational activities and assisting with organizing and implementing activities for the recreation program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Plans, evaluates and coordinates recreation activities, including scheduling facilities, ensuring facilities are set up, and scheduling trips;
- Provides direction to and supervises seasonal and volunteer staff, including selecting, monitoring, training, scheduling and determining work-loads; assists with hiring, disciplinary and evaluation processes;
- Assists in the development, recommendation and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the assigned recreation area(s);
- Monitors the day-to-day operations of recreation activities, including making site visits, handling and resolving complaints and ensuring that programs and events have required materials and supplies;
- Formulates and organizes program plans and schedules seasonal recreational activities;
- Supervises the issuance, use, care and maintenance of recreation supplies and equipment;
- Creates program flyers, brochures, catalogs and newsletters; assists Assistant Director of Parks and Recreation with putting recreation information on television and website;
- Financial Responsibilities: Accept, receive, and/or collect payments; accountable for inventory/property management; make recommendations that impact the budget; and manage the budget within assigned unit/division.
- Works with neighborhood community groups on matters of civic and recreation interest;
- Attends staff conferences and professional meetings; cooperates with voluntary agencies in the area;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s Degree in related field; two (2) years of work experience in related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of good public relations practices and principles;
- Ability to work effectively, compassionately and creatively with youth ages 5 through 18;
- Ability to juggle numerous responsibilities and tasks;
- Ability to maintain a positive, team-oriented attitude;
- Ability to work a variety of hours and days;
- Ability to plan creative, appropriate activities for all ages;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, parents and children.
CERTIFICATION, LICENSE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires a valid State of Georgia Driver’s License; First Aid and CPR Certifications, Certified Leisure Professionals Certification also desired.
The work is light work and requires climbing, crouching, fingering, hearing, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, talking, visual acuity, and walking.
The incumbent works in a relatively safe, secure, and stable work environment.