The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
As a sworn police officer with the City of Rincon you will be responsible for protection of life and property, prevention of crimes, apprehension of criminals and the general enforcement of laws and ordinances. Duties normally consist of routine patrol, preliminary investigation, traffic regulation. Also as a police officer you will be tasked to provide a safe environment for citizens and visitors and to answer calls for service ranging from friendly assists to highly stressful and dangerous incidents. You will be expected to perform your duties in a legal and lawful manner in accordance with binding legal guidelines, state law, city policy and department standardized operating procedures.
Current starting rate of pay for position is $20.41/hr.
Duties & Responsibilities
The following duties ARE NOT intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees within this classification; they represent only a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all listed duties and may be required to perform additional position specific duties.
· Performs preventive patrol in assigned areas, both in vehicle and on foot. Enforces state and federal laws and City ordinances. Operate motor vehicle while on patrol in a safe manner for extended periods of time in all environmental conditions and on occasion operate the vehicle at high speeds using due regard.
· Continually observes for and responds to criminal activity, safety hazards, traffic violations, persons needing assistance, etc. Conducts interviews and interrogations of victims, witnesses, suspects, and offenders. Identifies, collects, processes, packages, and logs physical evidence.
· Makes arrests on criminal and traffic related offenses including DUI detection and apprehension. Conducts searches of persons, places, vehicles, and things.
· Becomes familiar with patrol zones, geographical locations, known offenders, neighborhood routines, potential problem areas. Conducts security inspections and surveys buildings and businesses; handles complaints made by the public; conducts preliminary and follow-up investigations.
· Seeks and serves arrest warrants, search warrants and other court documents. Assist various prosecutors and attorneys in preparation of cases for trial; testify clearly and truthfully in front of a judge and jury in court.
· Direct and control vehicular and pedestrian traffic by use of hand signals. Traffic control for blocked traffic, parades, accidents, special events; provide crowd control, security, and information during special events.
· Clean and fire a variety of police weapons, including pistols, rifles, and shotguns both in the field and to meet standards for qualification with firearms.
· Type on mobile computer terminal in police vehicle as a means of gathering and exchanging information. Complete traffic/criminal citations issued to violators of city and state laws. Investigate traffic accidents and report on the electronic system.
· View heinous crime scenes and identify/preserve physical evidence of a crime.
· Compile information and type narrative reports as required in the performance of duty.
· Respond to and deal with domestic disputes and resolve issues in a way that minimizes harm to the disputing parties. Deal with children of all ages in a variety of situations, such as delinquents, minors requiring authoritative intervention, neglected, abused, runaways, lost, found, victims of crimes, public relations and instructional functions and informants.
· Provide interpersonal and business contacts and stand-by assistance in civil disputes.
· Directs civilian employees and the public at the scenes of crimes, accidents, disasters, assemblies, etc.
· Determines "probable cause" in making arrest of individuals; complete paperwork for those arrests both felony and misdemeanor cases.
· Determines when and under what circumstances to use less-lethal or deadly force.
· Search, arrest, and transport suspects.
· Administer first aid when needed and coordinate emergency personnel and resources in crisis situations.
· Act as public relations officer for the city and foster good relationships with businesses, schools, etc.
· Perform desk duties, including telecommunications (telephone, computer terminal, radio), assisting persons at the station, processing reports.
· Attends training as assigned; develops and maintains required skills and licenses/permits/certifications associated with the area of special investigation, expertise, etc.
· Police officer is involved with regular (regular schedule being a rotating 12-hour shift, paid bi-weekly) and irregular shift work and shift rotations necessary to provide police services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year (weekends and holidays included).
· Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
Upon initial hire you will be assigned to the Field Training Program and you will be required to meet all performance measures in order to successfully complete the program.
You will be subject to a one-year probationary period effective from the date of hire.
Application Process includes the following:
The City of Rincon is in Effingham County, GA. It is the largest municipality within the county and has a population of around 11,000 and growing. Effingham County and Rincon are expected to continue to experience growth in the coming years. Effingham County has a top twenty-five performing school district within the State of Georgia.
Rincon Police Department has experienced the same growth over the years and proudly serves the community and encourages partnership in ensuring a safe community for all. We are a department of 23 sworn officers and have specialized assignments to include K-9, School Resource Officer, and Criminal Investigations.p >