Position: Public Information Officer (FT) Department: Public Information Office
Starting Pay Rate: DOQ FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Posting Date: October 27, 2022 Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Plans, develops, and coordinates public information resources at the direction of Administration and/or the Board of Commissioners. Coordinates media releases, oversees website information, the annual report of county activity and oversees the planning of special events and county functions. Prepares written, verbal, and visual presentations; and provides information to the public and the media on behalf of the County.
- Directs and facilitates inter-departmental activities by providing guidance to department heads in order to assure the efficiency and effectiveness of public information.
- Research topics and prepares news briefs and other media releases on county government. Interviews commissioners, department directors, and other elected/appointed officials for news media and social media announcements.
- Investigate how the county can better communicate with the public. Social media has created a platform to distribute new and misinformation. This position is tasked with using these various multi-media and social media to disseminate factual information about County government activities.
- Maintains positive relationships established with editors and reporters at The Northeast Georgian and radio and website outlets in the community, resulting in prompt publication of important notices, corrections; responds to editorial board regarding county’s positions on controversial issues.
- Maintain frequent contact with print and radio reporters and station managers regarding county news, meetings, events, etc., including on-air interviews; a regular schedule of emailed meeting agendas, highlights, press releases, etc. is maintained to dozens of media contacts.
- Provides content, oversight, and updates to information on the county website. Monitors design and format of the county website, including implementation of various departments’ linked pages to ensure appropriate content, quality control and consistency.
- Researches, prepares, and arranges presentation of proclamations for the Board of Commissioners and notifies various individuals and groups of their need to attend commission meetings.
- Prepares layouts and paginates the annual citizen report and periodic employee newsletter; prepares presentations, posters, brochures, and other visual displays as needed.
- Coordinates media coverage and provides background information: may advise and/or prepare speeches and public comment on issues facing the County Commission.
- Works with various departments to assist in preparation of on-line posting of news releases, department head photos, bios, and forms.
- Fields phone calls on public issues. Routes Commissioner’s requests to appropriate department for action. Responds to citizen’s requests for information and materials; resolves complaints and answers questions.
- Arranges and coordinates special events (ribbon cuttings, town hall meetings, receptions) at the direction of Administration and/or the Board of Commissioners.
- Works with local media to assure coverage of the County events. Notifies press of issues facing the commission that may warrant coverage.
- Attends Board of Commissioners meetings, work sessions and other events and activities required to maintain a thorough and up-to-date knowledge of government/commission issues and activities.
- Participates on various boards as requested by Administration and reports on activities affecting the county.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Marketing, Political Science or related field.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of five years in public relations, media production or a similar position
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience, which provides the minimum level of qualifications, stated above.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
The successful candidate must complete a Background/Reference Check and Pre-Employment Drug Screening prior to the start of employment.
To Apply: All applicants must complete a Habersham County employment application. Applications can be found online at www.habershamga.com. Applications and a detailed job description can be picked up at the Habersham County Human Resources Department, Administration Building located at 130 Jacob’s Way, Clarkesville, GA 30523 in room 303. For more information please call (706) 839-0214.