Open - open and accepting applications
Back to Job Openings
Revenue Specialist, Tax Commissioners Office
White County will be accepting applications for the position of Revenue Specialist for the White County Tax Commissioner's Office. This position is open until filled. Complete job description and applications are available during working hours at the White County Commissioners Office, 1235 Helen Hwy, Cleveland, Georgia 30528 (706) 865-2235 or at www.whitecountyga.gov. This is a full time position with comparable wages and full benefits. Must be able to pass background, credit check and drug / alcohol screen. White County is an equal opportunity employer. Applications are subject to open records law.
JOB TITLE: Revenue Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Tax Commissioner, White County
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for a range of clerical and accounting duties in the operation of the County Tax Office.
- Responsible for collection of Title Ad Valorem tax, Ad-Valorem tax on Automobiles, Mobile Homes, Personal Property, Heavy Duty Equipment, Timber and Real Estate property taxes.
- Collection of taxes for various taxing authorities
- Records and maintains adequate records of all transactions. Processes a variety of documentation.
- Prepares departmental files; sorts and organizes documents to be filed or scanned.
- Files documents in designated order; scans documents to designated folders and maintains file system of departmental records
- Communicates with Taxpayers, Attorneys, Realtors, Financial Institutions, other county departments, outside agencies and others as needed to exchange information/documentation.
- Researches and verifies information received meets State’s provided guidelines. Reviews legal documents associated with request for tags and titles
- Performs data entry functions by keying data into various computer systems.
- Provides customer service functions in person, e-mail, fax and via telephone
- Calculates taxes and fees; assesses penalties when applicable
- Determines appropriate class of tags based on vehicle information
- Uses the Tax Digest to provide general information to the public by telephone, e-mail, fax or in person.
- Processes and prepares bulk tag applications from car dealers and companies
- Assist public with a solution on Real Estate, Mobile Home or Automobile problems or concerns.
- Assist taxpayer with Insurance Compliance Requirements, Tag Registration Suspension, and documentation.
- Assist taxpayer with registration requirements for Low Speed vehicles, Odometer Discrepancies, Imported Vehicles, Functional Locations and Habitual Violator requirements, leases and other motor vehicle registration inquiries.
- Assist service members in the Military or retired Military with their registration requirements or inquiries
- Prepares and compiles necessary correspondence pertaining to various tax matters.
- Issuance of Automobile Tags, Handles transfer of current tags, Issues duplicate registrations, researches prestige tag request and issuance of the same.
- Issuance of Mobile Home Location Permits, Decals
- Acceptance and Processing of Address Changes.
- Maintains inventory of tags and decals, records inventory counts; reports missing tags/decals.
- Performs notarization of documents as needed.
- Daily reconciliation of cash receipts. Prepares adequate documentation for daily work.
- Collection of Delinquent taxes by phone, letter etc.
- Processes a variety of documentation associated with departmental operations.
- Research of Probate records, Clerk of Court records etc. as necessary for tax sale research and preparation.
- Research of Inheritance, Letters of Testamentary and or Court Orders for the purpose of transferring ownership of a vehicle.
- Researches location of assets for potential tax sales.
- Researches unpaid tax bills, erroneous payments, return mail and other discrepancies.
- Assist with annual preparation of Real Estate Digest.
- Prepares and complies Customer Escrow information for payment.
- Receives, opens, distributes and processes incoming mail; prepares outgoing mail.
- Sorting, stuffing and mailing of tax notices. Consolidation of notices and mailing when applicable.
- Copies and distributes correspondence, memoranda and other related materials.
- Responds to routine request for information or assistance from the public, other agencies as requested.
- Answers the telephone; provides information; takes and relays messages and/or directs calls to appropriate personnel; returns calls as necessary.
- Performs research functions as needed.
- Maintains Bankruptcy account records; enters payments received from Bankruptcy Court.
- Prepares daily reports for the Motor Vehicle Division showing the number of tags sold and fee collected.
- Reviews accuracy, completion and documentation of paperwork submitted by customers and or dealers. Makes or request corrections when appropriate.
- Substitutes for co-workers in the temporary or short term absence of same.
- Assist taxpayers with County or Motor Vehicle online website assistance as needed
KNOWLEDGE HELPFUL FOR POSITION:
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping and accounting practices.
- Knowledge of record-keeping systems for taxes, tags, titles, tax digests.
- Knowledge of state tag and title rules and laws, motor vehicle registration guidelines, and tax fee structures.
- Knowledge of the Tax Digest
- Knowledge of Assessment Valuations
- Knowledge of the various taxations for Motor Vehicles
- Knowledge of Commercial vehicles
- Skill in performing Basic Mathematical Calculations
- Skill in the use of office equipment such as a calculator, cash register, typewriter, computer, postage machine, folder, scanner, card readers and facsimile machine.
- Skill in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in collection of debts
- Skill in organizing and analyzing information
- Skill in determining the appropriate tax district based on address
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Tax Commissioner assigns work in terms of general instructions. The work is subject to spot-check for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include State Department of Revenue laws and regulations, State Motor Vehicle Division regulations, County policies and procedures, and standard bookkeeping practices. These guidelines and generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY: The work consists of related bookkeeping and clerical duties.
SCOPE AND EFFECT: The purpose of this position is to collect revenue for various taxing authorities. Successful performance helps ensure that the county properly collects revenues.
PERSONAL CONTACTS: Contacts are typically with co-workers, other county employees and departments, State Department of Revenue officials, Real Estate personnel, Attorneys, Law Enforcement officials, Automobile Dealers and Dealerships, Insurance Agents and Insurance companies, Bank and Mortgage companies, and the general public.
PURPOSE OF CONTACTS: Contacts are typically to give and exchange information and provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table, with intermittent standing, walking and stooping. The work may require employee to be able to lift and/or carry twenty-five pounds of weight.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: None.
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principals relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.