The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
The purpose of this classification is to perform supervisory/manual work functions associated with construction, repair, maintenance, landscaping, and groundskeeping of city streets/roads, drainage systems, parks, and recreation facilities. The incumbent is responsible for leading a crew in the performance of construction and maintenance work related to streets and infrastructure in the City. Incumbent must maintain professionalism and courtesy while exposed to stressful situations associated with Building and Property Management operations and ensure crewmembers adhere to the same.
SCHEDULE: Normal operation hours: Monday - Friday; 8:00am - 5:00pm (schedule flexibility is available to accommodate the needs of the city
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent; supplemented by two (2) years previous experience and/or training in the area of road maintenance/construction or other related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Licenses or Certifications -
State of Georgia Driver’s License
Holds or can obtain a flagging certification for traffic control;
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
• Knowledge of basic arithmetic operations.
• Knowledge of activities of street maintenance, reconstruction, restoration, paving, sealing, storm installation, manholes and other drains system maintenance, and other City infrastructure maintenance
• Knowledge of planting seeds, bulbs, foliage, trees, shrubs, flowers, ground covering and applying mulch
• Knowledge of use of maintenance tools and equipment
• Skill in operating and controlling the actions of equipment, machinery, tools and/or materials requiring complex and rapid adjustments.
• Skill in mixing, spraying, spreading fertilizers, herbicides and insecticides onto grass, shrubs, and trees, using handheld and automatic sprayers, spreaders
• Ability to ability to calculate and/or tabulate data. Includes performing subsequent actions in relation to these computational operations.
• Ability to operate a loader, backhoe, saw, concrete grinder, floats, air compressor, pump, pneumatic tools, woodchipper, bush-hog, tractor and variety of hand tools
• Ability to use specialized tools including hydraulically operated equipment
• Ability to operate heavy maintenance and construction equipment
• Ability to flush, build, and repair storm drains, catch-basins, manholes, laterals, and drainage ditches
• Ability to troubleshoot and makes minor repairs to trucks and equipment
• Ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information.
• Ability to calculate decimals and percentages; ability to utilize principles of fractions; ability to interpret graphs.
• Ability to apply principles of influence systems, such as motivation, incentive, and leadership, and to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to resolve problems.
• Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
• Ability to work in a team-based environment and achieve common goals
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
• Ability to use protective clothing and equipment such as masks, coats, vests, hard hats, boots, goggles, gloves, reflective vest and other safety devices
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK CONDITIONS
The work is moderate work which requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force. Work requires regular and, at times, sustained performance of moderately physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and that may involve the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials. Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, depth, texture, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
Work is performed in an outdoor environment. Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, toxic agents, disease, or pathogenic substances.
The City of Fairburn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. In compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA) reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. Prospective and current employees are encouraged to discuss accommodations with the employerp >