Please complete an online application through our website commercega.org.
Gas Crew Leader
Pay Grade: 108
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
This position is responsible for leading a crew in performing a variety of skilled, semi-skilled, and unskilled work in the installation, construction, repair, and maintenance of the City’s natural gas distribution system and services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Checks for and repairs leaks in pipes and meters.
- Constructs, installs, and maintains large meter stations and regulator stations.
- Ensures essential tools and equipment are on the service vehicle for the day’s assigned activities.
- Ensures that job site is set up properly and safely; monitors the setup of highway safety signs, barricades, and fire extinguishers; implements necessary soil and erosion control measures.
- Inspects and ensures completion of daily work orders; ensures required paperwork is completed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Installs and maintains cathodic protection systems; inspects and repairs rectifiers and ground beds; clears shorts and bonds pipe as necessary; takes pipe-to-soil measurements, measure pit depths, and installs insulated unions and flange.
- Installs, maintains, and repairs residential, industrial, and commercial gas meters, risers, and regulators.
- Makes repairs to steel and plastic mains and services; makes all repairs to steel main and services when more than a minor leak clamp is required.
- Monitors and maintains the telemetry systems on industrial customers and town border stations.
- Monitors and supervises job sites to ensure safety of personnel and compliance with applicable regulations.
- Operates backhoes, trenchers, directional boring machine, pneumatic mole, and tapping/stopping equipment.
- Retires mains and service lines in the gas distribution system as necessary.
- Serves as a crew leader and performs skilled and semi-skilled work in the installation, construction, repair, and maintenance of gas lines, mains, and other related services; informs supervisor of progress.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent. Must meet all requirements of a Gas Service Worker and fluent in Technician and Equipment Operator Requirements based on Georgia Public Service Commission Guidelines and PHMSA 192. Must have 5 years of supervisory experience.
Required Licenses or Certifications:
Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid Commercial Driver’s License issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated. Possession of or ability to readily obtain the appropriate State of Georgia Operator certification for gas distribution. Possession of a Level 1A and Erosion Control Card.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of City policies and federal and state regulations pertaining to the construction, installation, maintenance, and repair of natural gas lines, mains, and related systems.
- Knowledge of the materials, equipment, tools, hazards, and safety practices involved in the construction and maintenance of gas pipelines.
- Knowledge of highway safety signs and barricade usage, and of traffic flagging techniques.
- Knowledge of local geography, including road, street, and meter locations.
- Knowledge of soil and erosion control measures and OSHA shoring requirements.
- Skill in operating equipment such as a backhoe, dump truck, tractor, trencher, directional boring machine, pneumatic moles, PTO driven borers, and tapping/stopping equipment.
- Skill in using various hand and power tools and meters.
- Skill in flagging traffic.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
Must perform work while standing, walking, bending, crouching, or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light objects, occasionally lifts heavy objects, and uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity.
Work is typically performed outdoors, where the employee is exposed to dust, dirt, grease, machinery with moving parts, inclement weather, and flammable and explosive gas leaks. The work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, and gloves and may require flame retardant overalls and self-contained breathing apparatus.
The City of Commerce has the right to revise this job description at any time. This description does not represent in any way a contract of employment.