POSITION OPENING: 23-35 Post Dates: January 9, 2023 – January 30, 2023
Classification Title: Police Major
Salary Range: $73,300 - $139,000
Location: Perry Police Department
Term of Appointment: Regular/full-time
Probationary Period: 12 months
To perform a higher level of management, supervision, and administrative duties within the Police Department, overseeing the functions and operations of assigned division(s) and subordinate units in accordance with all statutes, laws, ordinances, and regulations for which the Police Department is accountable. This position also serves on behalf of the Chief of Police in the event of his/her absence.
- Serves as the operational head of the department in the absence of the Chief of Police.
- Oversees the functions of the Patrol Division.
- Acts as a mentor to supervisors within the department.
- Ensures the proper planning of the PPD participation in special events.
- Assists in developing the annual operating budget for the department.
- Investigates and responds to citizen complaints or ensures that others do so.
- Monitors and coordinates the completion of employee’s annual evaluations.
- Ensure quality control in written reporting by reviewing accident and incident reports.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES REQUIRED FOR THE POSITION:
- Comprehensive knowledge of law enforcement principles, practices and techniques.
- Comprehensive knowledge of best management practices.
- Comprehensive knowledge of strategic planning processes and program evaluation.
- Ability to effectively communicate with diverse groups of employees, partners, or citizen groups.
- Ability to improve and adjust operations based on legal, financial, and/or policy changes.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with City officials, other legal authorities, the media, and public.
- Proficient of geography of the city.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND/OR EXERCISED:
Reports to the Chief of Police and will be responsible for the direct and indirect supervision of assigned division(s) and subordinate unit employees.
Mixture of office and field, nights and weekends as situations warrant.
- Minimum three years of experience at the rank of Police Captain II or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, social science, business/public administration, or a related field.
- Minimum 10 years of law enforcement experience, including at least five years of senior-level management experience at the rank of Police Captain I or higher.
- Active POST Intermediate, Advanced, Supervision, and Management certifications.
- Completion of Command College, FBI National Academy, or other professional management program approved by the Chief of Police.
This position requires pre-employment, post accident, and random drug screening.
THE CITY OF PERRY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND A CERTIFIED DRUG FREE WORKPLACE