Salary Range:$20.5900 Hourly Onwards
The person in this position is responsible for providing a wide variety of complex administrative and executive assistant tasks requiring initiative, independent judgment and extensive working knowledge of City organization and programs. The incumbent’s work entails dealing with political, confidential and sensitive issues requiring a high degree of discretion, tact and professionalism.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Receives visitors and telephone calls for the Office of the Mayor and City Manager; ascertains nature of business and personally handles those requesting routine information, appointments and tasks; directs remainder to appropriate official/staff;
- Oversees departmental calendar, scheduling appointments and meetings as necessary;
- Reviews and briefs for the Mayor's attention news articles, reports, bulletins and other materials;
- Composes letters and memoranda for signature as needed;
- Prepares Proclamations from the Mayor’s Office and other specialized congratulatory letters as needed;
- Sorts and routes mail to proper departments, as necessary;
- Responds to routine correspondence within established guidelines; annotates and delivers non- routine correspondence to the Mayor and City Manager;
- Maintains office files and records;
- Prepares and types a variety of routine and special reports from source material in files, including confidential material;
- Coordinates with City Clerk on prepared agendas; collects signatures from the Mayor and/or City Manager on contracts, forms, etc. in a timely manner;
- Assembles select budget information for the City Administration department;
- Performs purchasing functions for supplies for Mayor’s Office and for the City Administration department as needed. Prepares requisitions, performs receiving functions and reconciles to invoices; Acts as contact liaison for office equipment in the City Administration department;
- Financial Responsibilities: Prepare and/or process purchase orders; accountable for inventory/property management; make recommendations that impact the budget; and manage the budget within assigned department;
- Performs other related duties as required;
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires an Associates’ Degree; five (5) years of progressively responsible complex administrative work with some experience in the public sector preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience; Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of modern office practices, methods, equipment, and standard clerical procedures;
- Knowledge of or ability to learn the department's rules, regulations, policies, and procedures;
- Knowledge of all municipal functions, contacts, and activities of various departments;
- Skill in operating a computer;
- Skill in oral and written communication;
- Ability to learn, understand and apply the concepts, practices and procedures of the department;
- Ability to pay close attention to details;
- Ability to handle several projects simultaneously;
- Ability to use meeting agenda software;
- Ability to understand and follow quickly and accurately oral and written instructions;
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports and maintain accurate records;
- Ability to maintain alphabetical and chronological files;
- Ability to work independently without specific instructions;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City employees.
- Ability to deal with the public in an effective and courteous manner;
CERTIFICATION, LICENSE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Administration- Notary Public
The work is medium work and requires feeling, fingering, grasping, handling, hearing, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, talking, visual acuity, and walking.
The incumbent works in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities, and needs.