CITY OF DEMOREST JOB DESCRIPTION
Position Title: CITY MANAGER
Annual Salary: Negotiable
The Employer: The City of Demorest is seeking applications for a new City Manager. Demorest has an estimated population of 1800+/-. Demorest has a very long and important role in the history of Georgia. It is the home of Piedmont University, Habersham Medical Center, and Johnny Mize, the late baseball hall of famer. City of Demorest is a Council-Manager form of government consisting of a Mayor, four City Council members elected at large and a City Manager appointed by the City Council. Both the Mayor and Council focus on vision for the future of the City while the City Manager oversees daily city operations. The Mayor is the official spokesperson for the City and facilitates City Council meetings. The Council members are responsible for enacting local legislation, adopting budgets, determining policies, and appointing the City Manager, City Clerk, Municipal Judge, City Attorney, and City Treasurer. City services are provided by the Manager through 4 departments, 37 full-time employees with an operating budget of $9.2 million.
The Position: Under the administrative direction of the City Council, the City Manager performs duties as the executive administrative officer of all city services, affairs, and programs. The City Manager (1) sets the strategic direction to achieve the City’s social, economic and environmental goals; (2) implements council directives and coordinates community issues between departments; (3) provides administrative direction and guidance to all departments; (4) develops and administers the annual City Budget; establishes and monitors internal controls and coordination of City programs; and (5) prepares long and short-term strategic plans to meet organizational and development needs of the City; (6) strengthen and troubleshoot team efforts among elected and appointed city officials, city employees, and city contractors and/or business associates related to any city affairs.
Duties and responsibilities:
- As the Chief Administrator, the City Manager is involved in the council’s decision-making without voting power on laws legislated by the group and the implementation of these laws as a public administrator. Therefore, it is imperative for the city manager to ensure that the information relevant to any decision-making process is disseminated to the Mayor & Council in a timely manner.
- The City Manager supervises the daily operations of the government departments, its heads and staff members. The task may include, but not limited to hiring, suspending, enforcing necessary disciplinary actions, and firing of the staff member(s).
- Holding meetings with the citizens, private groups, and other members of the community is also a top priority in a city manager’s to-do list which is to understand and to address compliments and/or concerns of the community members.
- Attend educational and developmental courses that allow innovative approaches to optimizing City’s day-to-day operation of all departments which will ultimately enhance the City’s economic growth and the citizens well-being.
- Perform administrative tasks such as budgeting, balancing, recommendations, attend and maintain minutes of council meetings, among other duties and responsibilities that ensure the effectiveness of the City functions.
Knowledge & Skills: Serves a dual purpose as a public administrator and as the Executive Officer of the local government unit, the City Manager must possess the skill and experience in directing the city’s bureaucracy to help the council make sound decisions as well as possess the qualities of a good public administrator in order to carry out those decisions (e.g. government policies) made by the council.
The City Manager must posses the following knowledge and skills:
- Knowledge of administrative, organizational and management practices and procedures related to similar size and growth municipalities.
- Knowledge of public finances, budgeting and budgetary controls related to the implementation of municipal government laws, rules, and regulations.
- Knowledge of public relations and Customer Service Methods, practices and techniques.
- Knowledge of research, analysis, and application methods, practices and resources including legal, economic development and planning, technical reference.
- Knowledge of city policies and procedures.
- Skill in planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing complex projects.
- Skill in networking with internal/external administrative officials at the Federal, State, and local levels as well as private and public foundations.
- Skill in planning, developing, and implementing City policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Skill in negotiating, mediating, and problem solving .
- At least five years of experience in local government;
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent in political science, business administration, public administration, or any other related field. A Master’s Degree (MPA /MBA) is a plus;
- Managerial skills (i.e., planning, designing, optimizing and implementing technologies that will help team members improve productivity and performance);
- Must possess good character, integrity, and professional loyalty to the City;
- Strong planning skills, strategic and visionary;
- Must be a self-starter and problem solver with solid financial and administration skills;
- Experience in community development and customer oriented;
- Able to manage a diverse team of subordinates and department heads;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Must be available to work outside the normal office hours.
For more information, please contact and forward your application and resume to the contact below by Friday, February 3, 2023. The application can be found on cityofdemorest.org.
City of Demorest
Megan Chastain, City Clerk
Telephone: (706) 778-4202
546 Georgia Street, Demorest, GA 30535