The person in this position performs all heavy equipment operations for the Pubic Services Department. This includes operation of sanitation equipment such as Front-End Loader Truck, Roll-Off Truck, Automated and Rear load Trucks and related equipment to provide prompt service to all Commercial, Industrial, and Residential customers of the City Sanitation Department as well as all City Street Maintenance equipment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Operates assigned equipment in the maintenance and repair of City roads, streets, drainage systems, including gasoline and diesel-powered automotive and heavy equipment, light to medium duty trucks, tractors, excavators, packers, rollers and various machines, tools and power equipment;
- Performs daily inspections on Public Services vehicles and equipment used on the job; documents and records missing equipment and/or needed repairs;
- Checks and maintains equipment, trucks, trailers and power tools;
- Operates a sanitation truck to collect refuse along assigned routes;
- Oversees the work of refuse collectors;
- Maintains good public relations with customers;
- Collects fees in the form of checks or money orders for special pickups as necessary;
- Participates in scheduling work and Sanitation routes as necessary;
- Collects solid waste from various locations and delivers to disposal facility;
- Checks with Supervisor, Sanitation Accounts Specialist and other clerical staff as designated for daily assignments;
- Notifies supervision of hazardous material in containers;
- Cleans and washes assigned vehicles; checks tires, oil, fuel, water levels and all aspects of the trucks and related equipment;
- Completes required documentation on daily activities/routes and forwards to supervision/clerical staff as required;
- Assists the Maintenance Department as needed;
- Assists Commercial Sanitation as needed;
- May be required for after-hours work and events as needed;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires High School diploma or equivalent, three (3) years of related work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of hazards and safety precautions associated with operation of equipment;
- Knowledge of City and departmental policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of State Motor Vehicles Laws;
- Knowledge of geographical layout of the City;
- Skilled in proper operation and basic repair of machinery and trucks used in assigned section;
- Ability to recognize hazardous materials and situations and respond according to training and City policies and procedures;
- Ability to operate equipment and perform duties under a variety of weather conditions;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and the general public
CERTIFICATION, LICENSE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Georgia CLASS “B” CDL Driver’s License
The work is medium work and requires balancing, climbing, crawling, crouching, feeling, fingering, grasping, handling, hearing, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, and visual acuity.
Incumbent works in an environment with heavy equipment and machinery that could result in bodily harm to co-workers or others.
Listing ends on: