The city of Brookhaven is accepting resumes for a full-time Police Service Representative. This position will perform responsible clerical functions under the direct supervision of the support services division Sergeant. The candidate will retrieve police reports; process citations; verify, retrieve, enter and change information stored on GCIC; communicate with police personnel and citizens; and entering and retrieving information on the in-house computer system.
This position performs responsible clerical functions under the direct supervision of the support services division Sergeant. The position is responsible for retrieving police reports; processing citations; verifying, retrieving, entering and changing information stored on GCIC; dispersing information to police personnel and citizens; and entering and retrieving information on the in-house computer system.
Essential Job Functions:
- Processes citations, checks computer records, and files records generated by the department.
- Teletypes police messages to and from other agencies.
- Performs duties at the front desk including operating the telephone switchboard, assisting citizens, and bonding people out of jail.
- Assists general public in obtaining reports and information and collects money for various services.
- Answers phones and takes messages for officers.
- Verifies all information stored on GCIC by monitoring validation reports from GCIC, completes form letters on each entry, and writes supplemental report to upgrade information; verifies GCIC/NCIC entries.
- Runs suspended and revoked licenses taken by officers through GCIC for status, completes forms and makes copies of reports and licenses, mails original to state and files copies.
- Conducts criminal history checks as needed to process case files and other requests
- Monitors internal security system.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
Minimum Requirements to Perform Work:
- High School diploma;
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in an office clerical position preferably in a police environment;
- Or equivalent education, and/or experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of state laws, practices and procedures relating to municipal police departments.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, equipment, methods and procedures.
- Ability to type 35 wpm with skill and accuracy.
- Ability to pass the Georgia Crime Information Center certification test.
- Ability to operate a switchboard, police radio, and office equipment.
- Ability to understand and carry out complex verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with employees and the general public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with officials, employees, state and federal authorities, civic leaders and the public.
- Ability to manage stressful situations.
- Skill in managing competing priorities on multiple projects.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee sits in an office or computer room.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee regularly works in a normal office environment.
- The employee may perform some duties outdoors while conducting official business which will require limited local travel.
- Employee may be required to attend some evening and weekend meetings, and may be required to assist in special events.
- Willing to work shift work, overtime, weekends and holidays.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.