The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for an Events Planner.
Under the general direction of the Communications and Public Engagement Director, the employee will provide pre-event, on-site, and post-event leadership for special events put on by the City of Brookhaven. This position requires a very detail-oriented, organized self-starter whose role is instrumental in supporting a busy special events program. In addition, the incumbent will exercise reasonable initiative and independent judgment in communicating extensively with event organizers and City Departments to ensure compliance with City rules and regulations and the Special Events planning process.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
This section of the job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of duties and responsibilities of the position. The omission of a specific job function does not absolve an employee from being required to perform additional tasks incidental to or inherent in the job.
• Make recommendations and assist in the preparation of the department budget
• Responsible for the day-to-day budget management of their functional area
• Assist in recruiting and training employees, volunteers, and participants
• Prioritize job tasks and develop timelines and complete them within specified timeframes meeting strict deadlines
• Enforce City policies and procedures for events and park rules for staff, instructors, volunteers, and contracted facility renters as well as enforcement of all safety procedures
• Maintain accurate records and documents and is responsible for their retention
• Responsible for preparing reports and disseminating information, conducting debriefings, and giving presentations for internal and external participants
• Create work schedules for events, detail specific job duties, and schedule staff
• Work independently to oversee special events to include set-up and takedown at facilities and areas for special events
• Stay up to date with industry trends and identifies best practices in the profession regarding special events
• Network with other individuals and groups to identify best practices and develop new relationships
• Work in collaboration with others to secure needed permits, licensing, and signage
• Ensure safety standards are reviewed and implemented to minimize exposure of injury and damage to persons or property
• As the point of contact, manage festival contracts, vendors, stakeholders, and entertainment needs
• Must adhere to all safety and City procedural requirements while operating a vehicle for City business
• Perform other related duties as required or assigned
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Communications or closely related field and three (3) years of progressively responsible related experience and/or training; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position. Must possess and maintain a valid State of Georgia driver’s license upon hire and CPR/AED Red Cross certificate within twelve (12) months of employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Considerable knowledge of effective planning, scheduling, and event management techniques, and procedures; effective public information dissemination
• Ability to communicate orally and in writing with other staff members and/or supervisors and have working knowledge of appropriate technology to best serve the public and manage events
• Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, creative thinking, and a passion for events, and creating a high-quality guest experience
• Proficient knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite program
• Ability to understand, follow and complete oral and/or written directions
• Ability to multi-task assignments with concurrent deadlines and varying degrees of complexity
• Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare reports; explain rules, procedures, processes clearly and concisely
• Able to coordinate the technical needs of events, including administering contracts, purchasing materials, obtaining permits, arranging security, and parking, and soliciting vendors and sponsors
• Ability to follow and maintain a budget
• Ability to communicate and establish rapport, understanding, and confidence with participants and the public; exercise independent judgment in the application of event rules and procedures; plan, promote, organize, and coordinate events; and be a team player in the organization
• Possess strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to present in front of a group
• Skill in event site layout to promote good participant circulation and safety needs
• Skill in dealing with members of the public, a variety of contract personnel, and providing leadership internally to other team members
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms
• The employee is routinely required to walk, climb, balance, stoop, kneel and crouch
• The employee must routinely lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in an office and outdoors. The employee will be exposed to all types of weather and will work around light and heavy equipment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The employee regularly works in an office environment
• The employee performs some duties outdoors (inclement weather, heat/cold/wind may exist) while conducting official business
• May be required to attend evening and weekend meetings and events, on or off-site
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.