This person in this position is responsible for drivers and labor crews charged with maintaining parks and recreation facilities or public services to the City, equipment and streets located within the City of Douglasville. Duties of the Crew Chief position within the Public Services Department can vary depending on department needs such as change of schedule, work hours, personnel needs, unusual occurrences, etc. The duties of all Public Services Department Crew Chief job descriptions are considered synonymous for each division of the department bearing similar or same responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supervises and assists with the Sanitation Division including the operation of pickup trucks, garbage trucks such as Rear-loaders, Front-loaders, Roll-off trucks and other related heavy equipment when needed;
- Supervises and assists with the Sanitation Department for residential and commercial services when necessary;
- Assists in safety and operations training for operation of trucks and equipment;
- Facilitates problem solving as needed, regarding equipment and scheduling assignments, and employee complaints;
- Inspects and evaluates all jobs upon completion;
- Coordinates and submits recommendations for purchasing equipment necessary to the department; maintains inventory for relevant equipment;
- Maintains the appearance and proper functioning of necessary equipment;
- Performs labor and equipment operator duties as necessary;
- Delivers sanitation containers and equipment as necessary;
- Performs other related duties as required.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Requires High School Diploma or GED; a minimum (5) years of progressively responsible experience in a related work environment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the geographical layout of City streets, parks and roadways;
- Knowledge of occupational hazards involved and the safety precautions necessary to accomplish division objectives; knowledge of OSHA and Georgia DOT laws and regulations;
- Knowledge of departmental and City operating policies, procedures and rules;
- Knowledge of all applicable traffic laws, ordinances and regulations governing the operation of all necessary equipment;
- Knowledge and skilled in minor equipment maintenance and repairs;
- Knowledge and skilled in facility maintenance and repairs;
- Knowledge and skilled in sport fields and turf management;
- Skill in the safe operation of assigned vehicles, tools and equipment even under adverse weather and road conditions;
- Skill in identifying equipment problems and malfunctions;
- Skill in effective and clear oral and written communication;
- Skill in dealing tactfully and courteously with employees, customers and citizens in all situations;
- Ability to supervise the work of subordinates and effectively and efficiently accomplish department objectives;
- Ability to evaluate problems and complaints regarding buildings, athletics and grounds maintenance;
- Ability to observe, follow and direct subordinates to follow necessary safety precautions in all areas of assignment;
- Ability to be on call 24/7;
- Ability to work well with others.
CERTIFICATION, LICENSE AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
State of Georgia Class “B” CDL Driver’s License desired. CDL must be obtained within 12 months of employment.
The work is heavy work and requires mathematical skills, climbing, crawling, crouching, feeling, fingering, grasping, handling, hearing, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, (speaking), standing for long periods, stooping, visual acuity, and walking.
The incumbent works in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities, and needs.