Position: Asst. City Clerk
Responsible to: City Clerk
GENERAL NATURE OF WORK
The purpose of this position is to provide a variety of functions including administrative and clerical support to the City Clerk, and the Mayor and City Council. Responds to citizen inquiries; assist as necessary in preparation of Mayor and Council schedules and making travel arrangements, attending meetings and assisting in maintaining the records for the City. Majority of tasks will be conducting payroll and accounts payable weekly. Work is performed under the general supervision of the City Clerk.
EXAMPLES OF WORK
- Prepare the Pre-agenda and Agenda for all scheduled City Council Meetings, including maintaining notebooks and binding of books for City Clerk and Council
- Attend pre-agenda and council meetings as required in the absence of the City Clerk
- Signs and executes documents in the absence of the City Clerk as authorized by the
Mayor & Council
- Assist in preparation of annual budgets as necessary
- Approves purchase orders and various bills for issuance and payment, in absence of City
- Assist with preparing and submitting agenda items as needed
- Provide backup to other departments as needed
- Sort, copy and distribute faxes/mail for City Clerk, City Manager and Mayor and Council
- Maintains event/meeting calendar for Mayor and Council and schedules use of Council
- Assist with preparation of legal ads for newspaper regarding bids, road closings, public hearing notices, meetings etc. including posting of all notices for compliance of Open
Records and Open Meeting Acts. Posts notices, agendas and minutes to the website.
- Assist to ensure all information is available to the public in compliance with Open
Records and Open Meeting Acts
- Assist City Clerk with general and special elections as needed
- Assisting with updates or changes to ordinances as necessary, and in updates and distribution of changes to Code of Ordinances
- Assist with sales and accurate records for City Cemetery
- Assist in research and verification of contracts, agreements or city records as necessary
- Assist with the bid process including providing bid packets to the public, answering questions and providing follow-up and in keeping accurate records
- Any other duties assigned to City Clerk in her absence
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to ensure strict confidentiality in all matters in job performance as needed and required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with other employees and city officials.
- Ability to provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others regarding the application of procedures and standards to specific situations
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to adapt to city policies and procedures and to read and understand the City of
Doerun Code of Ordinances.
- Knowledge of computers and common computer software, including but not limited to word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Have exceptional knowledge of business English, punctuation, spelling and business math;
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment.
- Must have a valid state driver’s license or ability to obtain one with three months.
- Must possess and maintain valid Notary Public Certification or the ability to obtain a
Notary Public Certification within three months.
WORK HOURS AND CONDITIONS
This is a part-time position at 30-36 hours per week. Attendance of City Clerk’s certification training shall be required periodically.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
High school graduate supplemented by three years of experience with general accounting and clerical background preferably in municipal government. The equivalent combination of education, training and experience, which will provide the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for the position.
ADA REQUIREMENTS: The incumbent must have full use of upper and lower limbs with the capability to bend and stretch for filing of records. Eyeglasses or corrective lenses may be worn, to provide normal 20-20 vision for the incumbent. Hearing aids are also satisfactory.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $19,500.00 - $31,200.00 per year
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Doerun, GA 31744: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Microsoft Excel: 1 year (Preferred)
- Microsoft Powerpoint: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location