The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
City of Covington
Qualified applicants MUST apply on our website by downloading an application packet at cityofcovington.org, or may apply in person at Covington City Hall, 2194 Emory Street, Covington, Georgia 30014. This position will remain open until 4:00 PM on Wednesday March 29, 2023. The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
A Meter Reader is responsible for the accurate and timely reading and recording of water, gas, and electric meters to facilitate customer billing for residential, commercial and industrial customers. Work is performed in a fast paced, production-driven environment on assigned routes in accordance with established standards for number and accuracy of reads. An employee in this position is expected to detect and report atypical conditions, such as: identifying damaged, malfunctioning, and tampered meters; and detecting and reporting leaks, exposed wiring, and other safety hazards. The position involves frequent contact with the public.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Safely operate vehicle in all areas requiring travel to customer locations
• Perform weekly meter reading duties for routes assigned
• Inform lead meter reader of unusually high consumption of gas, water or electricity for possible meter testing or inspection
• Observe all safety precautions in performing daily duties
• Perform weekly cut-off procedures as assigned
• Perform weekly reconnects and return orders
• Close work orders daily in the system
• Work closely with customer service and billing to perform work orders as necessary
• Remove and reinstall electric meters as necessary and attend quarterly safety meeting on proper handling of electric meters.
• Remove and install ERTs ( Encoder Receiver Transmitter) on electric and water meters.
• Participate in on-call rotations schedule after-hours including evenings and weekends
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
• Graduate from high school with diploma or GED; and
• Some experience on public contact work; or
• General office practice experience such as typing, filing, computers, (proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel is desirable), and data processing; or
• Any equivalent combination of training and experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Ability to learn meter reading procedures and practices
• Knowledge of geography and street locations in the community
• Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions
• Basic computers skills including some experience with Microsoft word and excel
• Ability to work independently
• Good customer service skills
• Be a quick learner
• Good with time management
• Good communication skills with customers and coworkers
Possession of valid Class C state driver’s license; acceptable 3-year motor vehicle record, and ability to be insured by the City's insurance carrier.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Motorized vehicles, 10-key calculator/adding machine and computer.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, talk or hear and use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts or in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet while in the office, or moderately noisy when in the field.
The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.p >