Job Summary: Responsible for the planning, surveying, design, field inspection and execution of the professional engineering services. These services include review and certification of designs, plans and specifications. Included in the responsibilities are the use of considerable initiative and judgment in the daily operations and in contacts required with the public, other governmental agencies, contractors, developers, and professional consultants.
- Review site development plans and hydrological studies.
- Perform on-site inspections of projects in a pre, during, and post-construction state.
- Issue land disturbance permits, development, and utility (right-of-way) permit.
- Establish design criteria and make decisions on design features, including development guidelines, standard specifications, and standard details for infrastructure.
- Facilitate both long-range and current planning actions related to transportation plans, comprehensive plans.
- Prepare or review traffic impact studies and warrants studies for traffic control devices, sight distance evaluation, access control and speed.
- Manage the acquisition of right-of-way for the city, prepare acquisition, documents, negotiate property acquisitions with owners, and record deeds of an easement.
- Monitor public works construction and improvement projects where engineering assistance is required, including design and development of infrastructure; review submittals; approves change orders; performs final inspections.
- Administer the City’s Local Maintenance Improvement Grant program with the Georgia Department of Transportation.
- Act as Local Administered Project representative for GDOT/Federally funded projects.
- Prepare and review invitations to bid; review plans and specifications prepared under contract and review and administer construction contacts.
- Investigate complaints regarding drainage and makes recommendations or plans for correction.
- Oversee the administration, direction, and coordination of the functions of field surveying and mapping.
- Maintain engineering and infrastructure records, including but not limited to, plats, plans and special engineering studies.
- Maintain and update Flood Studies and Floodplain Letters of Map Revisions and managing studies for updating Floodplains for the City including coordinating with state and federal agencies.
- Communicate with City officials, engineers, developers, governmental agencies, utility companies, contractors, and others to coordinate work activities, make recommendations, exchange information, or resolve problems.
- Other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
Knowledge and Skills Required by the Position:
- Knowledge of prevailing State laws and Municipal codes and ordinances affecting public works construction.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and local safety regulations and procedures.
- Knowledge of the methods, principles, and practices associated with civil engineering and utility construction.
- Knowledge of personal computer applications in engineering environments.
- Knowledge of modern methods and techniques as applied to design, construction, and maintenance of public works projects.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of land surveying and mapping.
- Knowledge of sizing water and sanitary sewer lines and pump stations.
- Skill in the use and care of engineering instruments.
- Skill in interpreting and writing contract documents.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with contractors, engineering groups, employees, elected officials and the general public.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to read and interpret construction and development plans and specifications.
- Ability to prepare cost estimates and estimate bid quantities.
- Ability in computer applications for civil engineering, including computer aided design and drafting, hydraulic modeling, GIS experience, spreadsheets and word processing.
- Ability to make public presentations.
- Ability to plan, direct and manage a number of diverse but related activities.
- Ability to make decisions and recommendations which impact project success while remaining within project schedule and budget.
Supervisory Controls: This position operates under the general supervision of the City Manager and currently no supervisory responsibilities.
Physical Demands: The work is medium and requires exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Additionally, the following physical abilities are required: balancing, climbing, crawling, crouching, feeling, fingering, grasping, handling, hearing, kneeling, lifting, mental acuity, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, speaking, standing, stooping, talking, visual acuity, and walking.
Work Environment: Work is performed in a variety of indoor and outdoor environments including active construction sites and roadway and utility right-of-ways and easements.
Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or related engineering discipline; with five (5) years civil engineering experience, or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job; must possess and maintain a valid Georgia Registered Professional (PE) license.
Varied responsibilities and duties in civil site design and construction projects involving roads, public utility systems (water & sewer), hydrological studies and stormwater management facilities, Stormwater NPDES permitting and reporting, Metropolitan North Georgia Water Planning District compliance and reporting, stormwater and drainage structures, construction cost estimating.
Valid Class C Driver's License and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Record (MVR).
*The City of Villa Rica is prepared to cover some relocation costs for out of state candidates in addition to assisting with temporary housing for a specific period until permanent housing is secured*
The City of Villa Rica offers a complete benefits package to full-time employees including healthcare, dental care, vision care, Flexible Spending Account (FSA), life insurance, long-term disability insurance, short term disability insurance, pension,12 paid holidays, vacation leave, sick leave, Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and a 457(b) retirement plan with a City match.
Background screenings are conducted prior to employment.
City of Villa Rica does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, gender, religion, disability, age, political affiliation or belief, veteran status, or citizenship status (except in those special circumstances permitted or mandated by law).
Due to a high volume of applications received, we are unable to contact each applicant individually.