Job Title: Equipment Operator I —Sanitation Department
Reports to: Crew Supervisor—Sanitation Division
Department: Public Works
Work Hours: 7:30 am – 4:00 pm Monday – Friday; some weekends, evenings, holidays, and emergency call-ins.
Starting Salary: $32,365 – $33,176 Annually DOQ (Non-Exempt)
Purpose of Work:
This position assists in creating an inviting environment for the community by collecting solid waste and yard trimmings from our residential and commercial districts. The position is also responsible for the maintenance of street cans in the City's parks and right-of-ways. Work involves the use of Kubota Scooters, Pickup trucks, and other sanitation equipment. Assignments are given, and work is performed under the direct supervision of the Crew Supervisor.
- Operates a Kubota vehicle to pick up trash, to dispose of residential and commercial solid waste and recyclables along an assigned route.
- Operates street sweeping machine to remove leaves and other debris from city streets as scheduled by the Crew Supervisor.
- Assists Sanitation Equipment Operator II with special fee collections as assigned.
- Explains the Decatur Sanitation ordinance requirements and refuses and recyclables collection policies and procedures to property owners at collection sites and refers them to the Supervisor or Superintendent as needed.
- Distributes recycling bins, compost bins, and leaflets as directed.
- Maintains assigned vehicle in a clean, sanitary, and safe operating condition; washes assigned vehicle at the end of the collection route.
- Inspects the operating condition of the assigned vehicle before, during, and after daily use; checks for proper levels of fuel, oil, and transmission fluid and notifies supervisor immediately of any problems; submits motor vehicle and Equipment Operator daily checklist Supervisor.
- Assists Automotive Mechanics by performing tire repairs, minor maintenance, and vehicle lubrication in compliance with the department’s safety and operating policies and procedures.
- May assist Equipment Operator II in the collection and disposal of appliances and other bulky items.
- Performs other related work duties and assignments as needed.
Competencies and Skills:
- Engages in and supports the mission of the Public Works Department through positive reinforcement and consistent application of rules, regulations, and standard operating guidelines.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and human relationship skills.
- Creates an atmosphere of reliance and collaboration by building effective working relationships with supervisors, team members, City employees, and the general public.
- Demonstrates cooperation and initiative in helping the Crew Supervisor, Equipment Operator II, and other fellow employees develop and implement programs and objectives to improve the department and city-wide efficiency.
- Carries out oral and written instructions with minimal supervision.
- Provides responsive and timely feedback on the status and progress of work assignments to the supervisor and management.
- Demonstrates a commitment to safety by initiating, suggesting, and adhering to procedures to assure the highest risk management standards, employee safety, and risk avoidance.
- Computer knowledge and knowledge of Microsoft Office applications preferred.
Minimum Qualifications & Physical Requirements:
- HS Diploma or equivalent.
- Some formal training from a vocational or technical school is preferred.
- Valid State of Georgia driver's license (Non-commercial Class A or B) with a satisfactory motor vehicle record (MVR).
- CDL license preferred.
- Substantial work experience in performing comparable duties with similar equipment and tools.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects (10-100 lbs.) and bend, squat, twist, crawl, and climb daily. Ability to work in a variety of extreme weather conditions for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to operate all vehicles, equipment, and tools physically. Must perform work while being exposed to dust, pollen, allergens, exhaust fumes, herbicide chemicals, etc.
- Must be available for emergency call-in on weekends, evenings, and holidays.
The City of Decatur is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, handicap, genetic information, sexual orientation, sexual preference, gender identity or expression, or political affiliation.
How to Apply: All applications must be submitted online at www.decaturga.com.