This position is responsible for conducting building inspections and limited plan reviews to ensure compliance with all relevant codes and ordinances.
Essential Job Duties
- Inspects buildings for compliance with adopted state and local building codes and ordinances.
- Reviews building plans for compliance with state and local codes.
- Performs duct and envelope tightness testing in compliance with state and local codes.
- Maintains inspection database on all inspections.
- Maintains permit files to show inspections and dates completed.
- Answers emails, telephone, and in-person questions related to codes and construction activities.
- Inspects and maintains assigned vehicle.
- Attends continuing education courses as directed by the Building Official to maintain certifications and acquire new ones.
- Performs related duties.
Knowledge required by the position
- Knowledge of county and department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of adopted state and city building codes and ordinances.
- Knowledge of construction techniques and building practices.
- Knowledge of plan review principles.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety principles.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Basic skills in reading blueprints and construction documents.
- Skill in conducting and documenting building inspections.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Building Official assigns work in terms of general instructions and is the final arbiter of code interpretations. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include state and city building codes and department and city policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
Complexity/scope of work
- The work consists of varied technical construction inspection, code enforcement duties and limited plan review. Strict regulations, combined with the unique nature of each case in question, contribute to the complexity of the work.
- The purpose of this position is to perform building inspections in the enforcement of building codes. Successful performance ensures compliance with all relevant building codes and ordinances.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other city employees, homeowners, builders, architects, engineers, and the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, provide services, and justify matters.
Physical demands/work environment
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending, or crouching. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and distinguishes between shades of color.
- The work is typically performed in and office and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather. The employee is exposed to noise, dust, dirt, grease, and machinery with moving parts. Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for two years of experience in one of the major construction trades.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
- Possession of or ability to readily obtain the appropriate state certification for the type of plan reviews and inspection(s) conducted.
The qualifications listed above represent the credentials necessary to perform the essential functions of this position. To be successful in this position, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.