The Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) is the regional planning and intergovernmental coordination agency that focuses on issues critical to the region’s success, including growth and development, transportation, water resources, services for older adults and workforce solutions. ARC is dedicated to unifying the region’s collective resources to prepare the metropolitan area for a prosperous future. This is done through professional planning initiatives, the provision of objective information and the involvement of the community in collaborative partnerships. ARC functions as the Atlanta region’s federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO).
The Senior Planner will serve as a team member in the Program Implementation and Partner Services section within the Transportation Planning Department. This individual will provide professional planning support to initiatives in a variety of planning practice areas, including active modes, transportation equity, infrastructure resiliency, transit-oriented development, micro-mobility and transit, transportation technology and electrification, freight and logistics, and land use and transportation coordination.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides regional planning coordination and technical assistance to member jurisdictions by developing strategies, educating stakeholders, identifying and recommending funding options, and serving as a liaison to assigned jurisdictions;
- Works with assigned local jurisdictions with project concept development and administration of federal aid funded transportation projects following the required Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) Plan Development Process (PDP);
- Assists the team with generating quarterly Transportation Improvement Plan (TIP) project delivery reports for the Atlanta region and the maintenance of the TIP project solicitation process under the supervision of the TIP Administrator;
- Serves as a study project manager, developing methodologies, analyses and planning supporting the Regional Transportation Studies Program conducting day to day administrative
support to study sponsors activities including the oversight of consultant work product,
contracts and invoice payment;
- Coordinates deadlines, prioritizing work demands, and monitoring the delivery status of transportation programs/projects;
- Perform other duties as assigned to support agency goals and objectives.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND COMPETENCIES:
- Knowledge of GDOT Plan Development Process (PDP) and Locally Administered Project (LAP) process;
- Knowledge and familiarity with ArcGIS, along with understanding of its basic concepts;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Ability to attend meetings are outside of the normal hours of business operations;
- Ability to present a variety of audiences, from small groups of internal technical staff to larger groups of external public and private stakeholders;
- Skill in developing new and innovative analytical processes;
- Skill in gathering data, analyzing findings, and applying logic and reason;
- Ability to multi-task and meet assigned deadlines;
- Possess strong problem-solving, and verbal and written communication skills;
- Possess strong interpersonal, analytical and organization skills;
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office software suite (Word, Excel, Access, and Project).
- Bachelor’s degree in urban or regional planning, civil engineering, economics, public administration, or related field
- Two (2) years of professional urban planning experience
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above, unless otherwise subject to any other requirements set forth in law or regulation.
- Master’s degree in transportation planning, urban or regional planning, civil engineering, economics, public policy or administration, or related field
- Previous experience in professional transportation planning
- Local government and/or customer service-oriented experience
ANNUAL SALARY RANGE: $57,058 – $96,997(no SS deductions except for Medicare
portion, approx. 1.45% of salary).