CITY OF CORDELE, GEORGIA
CLOSING DATE: Open until positions are filled.
The City of Cordele, a local municipal government in South Georgia with a population of approximately 12,000 citizens is actively searching for Firefighter candidates. Located 100 miles North of the Florida state line, and served by three exits on Interstate 75, Cordele is the commercial hub of Crisp County and offers excellent growth opportunities for hotels, restaurants, retail, recreational and healthcare facilities.
A skilled firefighting position responsible for preventing, extinguishing, and suppressing fires, protecting lives and property, enforcing City, County, State and Federal fire prevention codes and enforcing any law pertaining to the prevention and control of fire. Under the direct supervision of the assigned shift commander.
Performs manual firefighting tasks that require physical stamina, use and maintenance of hand tools, firefighting equipment and apparatus and their application. Some examples of these duties are:
- Attends training sessions to receive instruction in various aspects of fire prevention and firefighting.
- Drives standard shift and automatic transmission street vehicles.
- Carries out rescue operations, removal of live or deceased victims, auto extrications.
- Administers first aid, rescue aid and devices.
- Employs hand tools, power tools, and hoses.
- Climbs ladders and uses ropes in ground level and elevated fire operations.
- Applies fire streams, chemicals, and water under adverse conditions and physical and mental stress.
- Trains and drills in firefighting methods, technology, laws and codes.
- Follows established safety rules and City and Departmental policies and procedures.
- Performs maintenance on self-contained breathing apparatus.
- Mixes various chemicals, fuels, and paints.
- Participates in pre‑fire tours of buildings, structures, premises, and vehicles.
- Draws pre‑fire plans for buildings in the city.
- Performs general maintenance duties including painting fire station and fire hydrants, sweeping and mopping floors, mowing grass and general lawn maintenance, washing fire apparatus, ground level and elevated windows, clean air filters in air conditioner.
- Recharges fire extinguishers.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to work scheduled department hours of 24 hour shifts, with possibility of stay-over if required.
- Complete City employment application.
- Minimum education of high school diploma or equivalent.
- Skilled in both oral and written communications, including grammar and spelling, with the ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, and to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Must successfully pass the Georgia Fire Academy course of study within one year from date of employment.
- Knowledge of the materials, equipment, procedures and methods used in firefighting preferred.
- Must possess, or have the ability to obtain, a valid Georgia driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Must pass background check including personal and employment references and MVR check.
- Pass psychological assessment, pre-employment and random drug and alcohol screens, and job- related physical examination.
- Must be able to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with other employees, supervisors, and the general public.
DESIRED JOB CHARACTERISTICS
- Dependable and punctual with excellent attendance record.
- Neat and clean in appearance.
- Ability to perform arduous tasks frequently under strenuous and adverse conditions, often involving personal danger.
- Knowledge of, or ability to easily learn, city street system, physical layout, principal buildings, water sources/hydrants and adjacent areas.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an online application available at www.cityofcordele.com. Application packages are also available for pick up at Cordele City Hall, Human Resources – Room 246, 501 7th Street, North, Cordele GA 31015. This position will remain open until filled.
The City of Cordele is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all applicants without regards to race, color, religion, sex – including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or genetic information, the presence of a non job-related medical condition or handicap, or any other protected status.