DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
JOB TITLE: Human Resource Technician
SUPERVISOR: City Manager
JOB FUNCTION: This position will plan, lead and develop the policies, activities of the Human Resources department, ensuring legal compliance and implementation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Oversee bi-weekly and monthly payroll processes as well as W-2 processing and quarterly payroll tax returns.
- Manages and assists in recruiting new personnel, including interviewing, and selecting personnel, and ensuring that department heads are aware of relevant hiring techniques and laws.
- Develop, implement, and coordinate programs in all aspects of the human resources function, including but not limited to employment, compensation, benefits, insurance, workers compensation and employee events & training programs.
- Maintain records of human resources-related data in both hard and electronic filing systems, ensuring all records meet compliance protocols.
- Perform routine file audits to ensure that employee files are complete and up to date.
- Interpret and provide guidance on HR rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Implement and administer employee benefits programs, including selecting vendors, researching, and presenting new programs that would be beneficial to employees and ensuring that programs are administered properly and adequately.
- Administer, monitor, and update human resource policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with Federal, State and EEO guidelines.
- Counsel and provide direction and interpretation of policies and procedures to managers and employees; ensure that the Personnel Policy Manual is updated through regular review.
- Manage the City’s job classification and compensation program, which includes writing/revising position descriptions, classifying positions and ensuring the City’s compensation plan remains fair, equitable and competitive with the market.
- Oversee and maintain official personnel records for City employees including employment applications, tax forms, insurance forms, and employee time records; ensures accurate, confidential maintenance of employee personnel records.
- Keep the City Manager, City Attorney and Department Heads advised of any pertinent issues.
- Work with Department managers regarding discipline issues. Ensure proper documentation on terminations. Conduct exit interviews.
- Prepare annual budget for Human Resources Department.
- Other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge of federal and state laws affecting personnel operations of local governments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and skills with proven ability to build rapport with employees.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to handle confidential matters with discretion.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and ability to learn city’s payroll and finance software.
Complexity: Work requires analysis and judgment in accomplishing diversified duties. Work requires the exercise of independent thinking within the limits of guidelines, policies, standards, and precedents.
Physical Demands: Contacts are typically performed with the employee sitting at a desk. The employee uses tools or equipment requiring dexterity.
Work Environment: The work is typically performed in an office.
Post-Secondary Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, and/or equivalent years of progressive responsible human resources or related experience preferably in the public sector; any combination of education or experience. SHRM or GLGPA certification desired but not required.
Please send cover letter, resume, and city employment application to Jonathan Lynn at email@example.com. Applications for employment may be found on the City's website at www.cityofrincon.com