Position: Aquatic Instructor (PT) Department: Parks & Recreation
Starting Salary: DOQ FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Posting Date: May 8, 2023 Closing Date: Until Filled
This position performs Aquatic Instruction to ensure proper swim lessons/courses/certifications are taking place while maintaining patron safety and quality programing.
- Thorough knowledge and application of teaching swimming and water safety skills.
- An understanding of facility characteristics, rules, policies, and procedures.
- Be familiar with American Red Cross Learn-to-Swim levels and other Red Cross Water Safety courses/certifications.
- Responsible for the proper instruction of all swim lesson classes/certifications.
- Designs and implements appropriate classes for the swimming level being taught.
- Be prepared and organized by creating weekly lesson plans for each class.
- Maintain a safe and controlled environment; identify hazardous conditions and eliminate / minimize them.
- Communicate regularly with participants and their parents, as appropriate.
- Complete records and reports including submitting red cross records and maintaining logs of all lessons/certifications.
- Adheres to posted job schedule.
- Punctual when reporting for duty, shows up no less than 15 minutes prior to the start of a class.
- Enforce and adhere to all policies and procedures.
- Attend all staff meetings and in-service trainings.
- Act in a professional manner at all times.
- Provide quality customer service.
- Performs basic custodial duties.
- Complete additional duties as assigned by the Aquatic Manager
- Must be at least 17 years old. If you have graduated high school a diploma, GED or equivalent is required at time of hire.
- Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
- Experience working with the public and prior cash handling experience is desired.
- Possess the ability to be self-motivated and work independently and/or in a team environment.
- Prior experience as a swim instructor is desirable.
- Must have effective communication skills and engage positively with the public.
- Must be able to sit, stand, jump, walk, bend, stoop, pull, push, balance, reach and the ability to use fingers and hands. This position may require the ability to operate equipment such as a computer, keyboard, cash register and various office equipment.
- Possession or ability to obtain a valid Georgia driver’s license.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations:
- Possession of The American Red Cross WSI (Water Safety Instructor Certification) is preferred.
- Possession of Lifeguarding, Standard First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer and AED certifications are preferred but must possess the ability to obtain if required.
- Possession of American Red Cross Instructor certification is preferred but must possess the ability to obtain if required.
The successful candidate must complete a Background/Reference Check, Pre-Employment Drug Screening.
To Apply: All applicants must complete a Habersham County employment application. Applications can be found online at www.habershamga.com. Applications and a detailed job description can be picked up at the Habersham County Human Resources Department, Administration Building located at 130 Jacob’s Way, Clarkesville, GA 30523 in room 303. For more information please call (706) 839-0214.