The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
MORGAN COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
Morgan County is seeking to fill the position of Fire Chief. The Morgan County Fire Department is a combination department; whereby, there are currently 5 full-time firefighters, 25 PRN paid firefighters, and 70 volunteers operating 16 fire stations. The Fire Chief will have line authority over all volunteer, PRN, and full-time fire personnel.
Successful candidates will have extensive experience of a wide and progressively responsible nature in fire services including considerable supervisory experience. Comprehensive knowledge of fire administration, including organization, staffing, finance, equipment management, maintenance and records/reports are required in addition to ability to maintain discipline, analyze the effectiveness of a firefighting organization and institute improvements.
Establish and maintain productive working relationships with staff, board members, community organizations, other agencies, and the general public
Respond courteously and tactfully to the public in answering questions, explaining department policies, and handling complaints
Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff; processes employee needs and problems;
counsels, disciplines, and evaluates personnel
Plans, organizes, and manages departmental functions and support staff activities; coordinates activities and assignments
Analyze Fire Department needs, as well as the availability of resources, existing programs, and other related factors in developing departmental programs to meet those needs
Formulates and develops work methods and practices, policies, standard operating procedures, training programs, and general orders; monitors the implementation of departmental rules and regulations; updates departmental guidelines in accordance with federal, state, and local legislation
Establishes budget priorities; prepares and submits annual budget information; recommends budget revision as appropriate; administers approved budget and monitors operational expenditures for fiscal compliance
Coordinates with the Georgia Firefighter Standards and Training Council to maintain depart-mental and individual compliance within state regulations
Engages in operational tasks including but not limited to conducting or delivering field training exercises and responding to emergency incident scenes after normal business hours
• Minimum of 10 years of experience in emergency services with progressive responsibility, including administrative, supervisory, and budgetary experience in fire prevention and suppression work,
• Strong understanding and experience with volunteer or combination fire departments
• Possess a valid Georgia driver’s license Class F
• Possess and maintain a Georgia State Certified Firefighter certification
• NPQ Pro Board Firefighter II or equivalent
• NPQ Pro Board Fire Instructor I or equivalent
• NPQ Fire Officer II or equivalent
• NPQ Driver/Operator -Pumper or equivalent
• NPQ Hazardous Material Operations or equivalent
• State of Georgia EMT-Intermediate, Advanced EMT, Cardiac Technician or Paramedic license.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a major in Fire Science, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field
• Possesses the combination of education, training, and professional experience which provide the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for the position of Fire Chief
Strongly preferred qualifications:
• NPQ Pro Board Fire Officer III or equivalent
• NPQ Fire Instructor II or equivalent
• NPQ Hazardous Material Technician or equivalent
• Georgia Certified Emergency Manager
• Master’s Degree from an accredited university with a major in Fire Science, Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field.
Fire Chief – Grade 24 – FSLA Exempt Position
FY24 Comprehensive Salary Range for Grade 24 - $81,225 - $123,593
Letters of interest and resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
NO Hardcopy packages will be accepted for this position. Please submit your materials electronically by email to:
Ms. Leslie Brandt, Human Resources Director
Morgan County Board of Commissioners
150 East Washington Street, Madison, GA 30650