The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
City of Atlanta Department of Public Works
At the City of Atlanta, we are passionate about building and improving our community. Our police officers, firefighters and building inspectors keep our citizens safe. Our Public Works staff keeps our City clean and helps maintain, build and improve our City’s infrastructure. Our City planners help envision and shape future City growth. Our Parks & Recreation professionals enhance our quality of life.
Our engineers help keep our drinking water clean, the largest airport in the world (by passenger volume) operating and our buildings maintained. Along with the host of Finance, Procurement, and Human Resources professionals whose support is vital, we are the City of Atlanta! If you are seeking a meaningful role where you can make a real difference improving and growing our City, we welcome you to explore the job opportunities we have to offer.
Posting Expires: Open Until Filled
Salary: Commensurate with experience
General Description and Classification Standards
The purpose of this job is to oversee education and enforcement of City of Atlanta Solid Waste ordinances / codes which provide for the protection of property, safety and the welfare of the general public.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Respond to code compliance questions from the Solid Waste Code Enforcement Supervisor, Department of Public Works executive team and the general public concerning violations.
- Oversee education and enforcement of City code violations in public right-of-ways.
- Ensure compliance with the City's Solid Waste ordinances.
- Prepare notices of violations indicating requirements for compliance.
- Examine tax and title records to obtain name and addresses of property owners.
- Deliver notices of code violations to owners.
- Prepare detailed reports for future court appearances.
- Provide code violation education to owners.
- Prepare cases for court.
- Serve court citations.
- Testify in court as an expert witness for the City.
- Will be required to operate City vehicles in performing the job duties for this role.
- Performs other related duties as required
Qualifications - External
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED required.
One (1) year of experience enforcing municipal code and the ability to defend issued citations in municipal court is required or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
A valid Georgia driver's license at the time of appointment is required
Must meet the requirements as outlined by the Chief of Police in becoming a sworn Code Enforcement Agent within six months of employment.
Preferred Education & Experience
Associate’s degree in a related discipline and 3 years' of experience
Licensures and Certifications
A valid State of Georgia driver's license is required
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.
Members of the Solid Waste Education and Enforcement Team (SWEET) will be assigned per quadrant of the city to oversee education and enforcement of the City code violations in the public right-of-way. Typical code violations include illegal dumping after an eviction, illegal sign placement, graffiti, and improperly contained waste disposal. Utilizing a two-pronged approach of education and enforcement is designed to clean up city streets and sidewalks. Education and enforcement is part of an ongoing commitment to city residents and visitors to combat illegal dumping, illegal sign placement and other violations in the public right of way.p >