The leading source of local government job opportunities in Georgia.
Qualified applicants MUST apply on our website by downloading an application packet at cityofcovington.org, or may apply in person at Covington City Hall, 2194 Emory Street, Covington, Georgia 30014. This position will remain open until 4:00 PM on Tuesday May 30, 2023. The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This entry-level position assists in the maintenance and repair of the natural gas utility system and related technical duties. Inclement weather and field conditions contribute to the complexity of the position, and successful performance contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of utility services. The employee must be able to respond to after-hours emergencies and work overtime if required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Stocks truck with needed parts, materials, and tools.
• Learn to locate and marks underground gas lines; exposes underground utility lines to identify possible dangers or obstructions.
• Excavates work sites using light equipment to serve as a spotter for operators.
• Performs manual labor using rakes, shovels, post hole diggers, pipe locators, and heat fusion machines.
• Backfills, compacts, and cold patches holes and trenches.
• Removes brush and trees from rights-of-way.
• Assists with pipeline construction, fitting, and maintenance; installs plastic and steel pipelines; makes tap connections.
• Assists in constructing and installing gas pressure regulation and meter stations.
• Assists with installing new gas services.
• Inspects gas piping for atmospheric corrosion and leaks.
• Performs new line installations.
• Performs weekly vehicle inspections.
• Loads and unloads parts and materials.
• Participates in facilities and landscaping maintenance
• Performs meter sets and change-outs.
• Responds to emergency situations.
• Locates and repairs gas leaks.
• Repairs broke or damaged pipelines.
• Paints meter and regulator stations.
• Completes the required Operators Qualification Modules for this position as assigned.
• Performs related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
(A) Graduation from high school or GED equivalent
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of department safety policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of gas utility system maintenance and repair principles.
• Knowledge of area streets and roads.
• Knowledge of vehicle and equipment maintenance principles.
• Skill in the operation of assigned vehicles and equipment.
• Skill in the use of hand and power tools and of specialized gas utility maintenance and repair equipment.
• Skill in problem solving
• Skill in interpersonal relations.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Must be able to respond to after-hours emergencies and work overtime if required.
Valid Class C Georgia Driver’s License and acceptable Motor Vehicle Record for past 3 years. Must be insurable by City of Covington motor vehicle insurance carrier.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Motorized vehicles and equipment, including trucks, forklift, tractor, tamper, saws, pumps, compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, detection devices.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, and taste or smell.
The employee must frequently lift and or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee occasionally works in the proximity of live gas lines, vehicular traffic and in high, precarious places. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the environment is usually loud.
The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.